Extempore and NOAA's Science On A Sphere

Paul Fisher

Jun 28, 2017, 11:32:33 AM6/28/17
to Extempore
The school where I work is installing a Science On A Sphere (https://sos.noaa.gov) pretty much as I write. This is basically a 3D sphere projection screen with 4 integrated HD projectors and a huge library of data sets.

Beyond the usual uses, I'm going to use this as a resource in my comp sci classes as an example of programming for an installation. In those classes I have periodically used impromptu and I'm going to explore extempore with the more advanced students.

So my question is, given that extempore was a pretty major part of the Physics Playroom at QUT, has anyone done any integration of extempore with a SOS installation? Our room is going to have the sphere, two 84" TouchIT monitors an HD projector, a 7.1 surround sound system and ultimately 2 HD video cameras. What I would like to do, ultimately is be able to run the room as something of an immersive art installation.

The SOS install uses custom software from NOAA running on Ubuntu (I am ignorant of what sort of API is provided at the moment). The rest of our hardware is very Mac centric and the room also has Crestron controls (ugh - what an annoying, closed, ecosystem!) and a Dante audio network.

Am I plowing new ground here or has someone done something along these lines somewhere else? I have an independent study student next year who will be hacking through the weeds with me.

Andrew Sorensen

Jun 28, 2017, 9:18:49 PM6/28/17
to Paul Fisher, Extempore
Sounds like breaking new ground to me. The biggest issue is likely to be the "custom NOAA Software". If you *can* bypass that then so much the better :)