Moving from impromptu, play-note, AUs to Extempore, rtmidi(?) and what?

Paul Fisher

Mar 11, 2015, 6:19:48 PM3/11/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
So I've been putting this off for basically ever but the time has come.

I have a number of pieces that use impromptu speaking to nearly a dozen audio units with various instances of Alchemy, Contact, XILS and all manner of nonsense. The catch is that all these were written using play-note and I've been putting off the hassle of switching to play and managing all the note on/offs.

Before I dive into that I thought I'd ask if the way to replicate the old impromptu code in extempore is to use rtmidi, play and dealing with the note on/off explicitly.

This will be something of a hassle due to the way these pieces are structured but it is time to move on.

Any advice most welcome.

PcF

Paul Fisher

Mar 11, 2015, 9:39:56 PM3/11/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
In digging around I found reference to mplay and that took me to play-midi-note (and I suppose it would not have been *that* hard to create my own version ...) so I am not a happy camper.

Andrew Sorensen

Mar 12, 2015, 9:16:19 AM3/12/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Why not a happy camper?

Jason Levine

May 31, 2015, 7:03:21 PM5/31/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to bring up this question once again, but is support for Audio Units a priority for Extempore? or even a goal?

I know I can send midi notes to AU hosts, but this is def not ideal for audio reactive graphics. And I of course understand that being cross platform is one of Extempore's goals and that audio units are Apple only.

Andrew Sorensen

May 31, 2015, 8:39:02 PM5/31/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jason,

It's definitely not a priority, or even a goal, but it is something that I've always had in the back of my mind.  Possibly one day but there are *many* higher priorities.

That said, it would certainly be possible for someone else to build an AU library for extempore ... hint, hint ;)

Cheers,
Andrew.

Jason Levine

May 31, 2015, 9:18:19 PM5/31/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
if only someone had the means and time to learn the intricacies of CoreAudio....
Jason Levine
new media performer + creative coder

IMG_0306.JPG

Jason Levine

Jun 1, 2015, 8:07:30 PM6/1/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
What would be involved in such an undertaking? Binding the coreaudio and audiounit frameworks as dlls? and then writing an interface in extempore?

ami...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2015, 9:48:40 PM6/1/15
to extemp...@googlegroups.com, extemp...@googlegroups.com
Selfishly -- since i'm on linux but have a bunch of old impromptu code -- i'd much prefer to port some audiounits to extempore (and might be able to help with it). It'd probably be more useful for extempore, too.

Tom

Paul Fisher

Aug 8, 2015, 8:39:44 AM8/8/15
to Extempore

Sorry, my comment was unclear ...

Since I found my answer I stopped paying attention to this thread so, to be clear, the "not a happy camper" reference is a typo and shouldn't have included the word 'not'. Basically I found what I needed and feel a little stupid for asking the question without a) digging a little deeper first; or b) just creating my own function.

Switching from impromptu to extempore has not been that difficult (I do miss audio units ...). The one thing I really miss is that I used impromptu as the environment for teaching an intro programming class (high school). The loss of that fairly simple environment has meant that I've had to switch to Processing to accomplish, sort of but not really, the same thing. Dumping programming newbies into emacs/sublime just ain't gonna happen. Not ever.

In the switch I picked up an easier/quicker animation REPL but I lost all the cool compositional constructs and temporal recursion. Loss of the later was a bit of a blow to how I had been teaching the course.

Life is full of compromise ...