Comparison of Live Environments and more C++11-ification

florian wagner

Oct 26, 2016, 6:12:43 AM10/26/16
to Extempore
Hello,

after a long absence I finally come back to extempore, this time in the context of a course I am taking.
The course mainly revolves around different "live" systems and a comparison of their methods and the shades of "liveness" found within them. I am really excited to have an opportunity to dig into some of the conceptual backend of extempore and might be asking some "philosophical" questions, if that is okay with everybody.

As I am going to be instrumenting the code for the comparison, I might as well do some productive work. So if there is some work that needs to be done, I would be more than willing to try myself at the task.

The LLVM thing looks especially annoying to me right now (having to set up extempore on all my machines), so I might look into that. It would be nice if someone could give me a few pointers to the code that is running into the bugs and to the patch for LLVM. Then I could try minimizing the example and try to get the patch into LLVM.

Greetings
Florian

Johannes Kroll

Oct 27, 2016, 1:45:44 PM10/27/16
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 03:12:42 -0700 (PDT)
"'florian wagner' via Extempore" <extemp...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> The LLVM thing looks especially annoying to me right now (having to set up
> extempore on all my machines), so I might look into that. It would be nice
> if someone could give me a few pointers to the code that is running into
> the bugs and to the patch for LLVM. Then I could try minimizing the example
> and try to get the patch into LLVM.

What is "The LLVM thing"? Some patch that the LLVM maintainers don't
want to include upstream? Curious, please explain.

J.

florian wagner

Oct 27, 2016, 2:44:46 PM10/27/16
to extemp...@googlegroups.com

Hey Johannes,

Ben posted a "help wanted" last year (http://benswift.me/2015/08/26/help-wanted-extempore-mini-projects/) which offered some mini-projects for people to help. One of them concerned a bug in LLVM that extempore seemingly ran into and that needs a minimized example to demonstrate the bug. If this were fixed it would speed up the build process considerably since you would not need to compile LLVM but could use a package/default distribution.

Greetings
Florian

J.

Ben Swift

Oct 27, 2016, 8:04:29 PM10/27/16
to extemp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Florian

Welcome back :)

That does sound cool - Andy and I are just under the pump for the next
few days so we probably can't hash out any details right now, but the
offer is appreciated and we'll get back to you asap.

Cheers,
Ben