Auto Completion

Diddy

Aug 28, 2014, 4:36:29 AM8/28/14
to execut...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I only found out about your query editor today. I had a quick look at it and the feature set seems quite impressive. I have one question to auto-completion: I am currently working with a postgresql db. When I write the following:

SELECT * FROM

and press CTRL+Space I expect to see the schema names, but instead I see all column names from any schema (I think).

Ok, then I add the schema manually:
SELECT * FROM common.

and press CTRL+Space I expect to see the available table names (within this schema), but again, I see all the table names from all schemas.

Next:

SELECT d. FROM common.dim_date AS d

My cursor is now at d. and I press again CTRL+Space and I see all the columns from all tables from all schemas.

Is there a way to just get a more context sensitive auto-completion?

Thanks,
Diddy

Takis Diakoumis

Aug 28, 2014, 9:30:26 AM8/28/14
to execut...@googlegroups.com
hi

autocomplete will provide suggestions from the 'default' schema only for that selected connection within the editor, so you won't get <schema>.something values back.

it does provide column and table names for the selected connection and it will also attempt to provide the relevant values for a table name or alias as in table_name.column1.

if you have not typed anything yet, it provides a list of SQL keywords - both standard and those returned from the database. you need at least 2 characters before a schema related hint will be provided.

i did deliberately leave out schema selections - i don't recall why now. i think i may have had a performance issue at the time but i can certainly revisit this. i'm very open to suggestions here and it could always do with some more work which i have planned.

thanks heaps for your comments :)
Takis

http://executequery.org

Diethard Steiner

Aug 28, 2014, 10:48:33 AM8/28/14
to execut...@googlegroups.com
Hi Takis,

Many thanks for your reply! Ok, I tried this now on MySQL and I can see how it works now … very nice.

It seems like the behaviour on Postgresql is different. It doesn’t know about schemas. So if I write schema name. it will auto-complete with column names from any schema, not only the default schema.

For PostgreSQL I think it would be great if you could ideally add schema completion support. In example, the database I am currently accessing has about 15 schemas. Only one of them might be my default schema, but on a regular basis I access all of them and sometimes I write SQL queries which involve tables from various schemas.

I think working auto-completion support for Postgresql (or similar DBs which support real schemas) is the main feature missing for me in your app. It would be excellent if you could add this.

Best regards,
Diddy

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Execute Query" group.

Takis Diakoumis

Aug 28, 2014, 11:03:52 AM8/28/14
to execut...@googlegroups.com
hello

ok - i'll plan some work around it and add for the pending release.
let me know if there is anything further.

thanks again.
Takis

Diethard Steiner

Aug 28, 2014, 11:08:22 AM8/28/14
to execut...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot Takis! I’ll be very happy if I can see this feature in the next release! I think that’s the main feature for me right now. Once this is implemented, I will start using your tool on a daily basis and I can provide more feedback! When is the next release planned? Best regards, Diddy