Set; - Method not supported

Tolmekian

Dec 4, 2014, 6:58:44 AM12/4/14
to execut...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm connecting to Hive through execute query 4.1.1 although when trying to run Set; I receive a "Method not supported" message. Is there a known workaround?

To give a few examples of what I'm trying to achieve -
set hive.auto.convert.join=true;
set hive.exec.parallel=true;

etc...

I tried updating to 4.2 but then couldn't even select * from dual; within my hive connection without receiving the same "Method not supported" message. My oracle connection still worked great however.

Many thanks,
Jason

Takis Diakoumis

Dec 4, 2014, 3:30:52 PM12/4/14
to execut...@googlegroups.com
hi

thanks for the feedback with this.

a potential regression issue on how the functions and procs are retrieved could be causing this within the editor's autocomplete feature.  apologies...

i did have a potential fix with the package here:

just replace your eq.jar fiule from the install directory with the one above.

does it dump any errors/exceptions within the output pane at all? if not and the issue persists after you replace the jar file, can you please turn on debugging in the preferences -- General | Output log level
and try again.

let me know how you go.

thanks :)
Takis

Tolmekian

Dec 5, 2014, 3:33:28 AM12/5/14
to execut...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for replying Takis.

I received the following error:

java.sql.SQLException: Method not supported
    at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveDatabaseMetaData.getConnection(HiveDatabaseMetaData.java:230)
    at org.executequery.databaseobjects.impl.DefaultDatabaseHost.getDatabaseMetaData(DefaultDatabaseHost.java:185)
    at org.executequery.databaseobjects.impl.DefaultDatabaseHost.getDatabaseKeywords(DefaultDatabaseHost.java:1173)
    at org.executequery.gui.browser.HostPanel.updateDatabaseKeywords(HostPanel.java:214)
    at org.executequery.gui.browser.HostPanel.changePanelData(HostPanel.java:247)
    at org.executequery.gui.browser.HostPanel.access$000(HostPanel.java:53)
    at org.executequery.gui.browser.HostPanel$1.run(HostPanel.java:271)
    at org.underworldlabs.swing.GUIUtils$2.construct(GUIUtils.java:244)
    at org.underworldlabs.swing.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:130)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I'm also back to "Method not supported" being shown for all statements (eg. select * from dual;) with my hive connection. Any further help is truly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Takis Diakoumis

Dec 8, 2014, 3:33:49 PM12/8/14
to execut...@googlegroups.com
hi

sorry for the delay. i've been trying to read the hive jdbc source and can see that a large number of methods will throw an SQLException with "Method not supported". EQ some of the core introspection methods available via a fully implemented JDBC driver. i could suppress the exceptions but the functionality will continue to vary.

to be clear... did you have better luck with EQ version before 4.2 or 4.1 ?

i'm not very familiar with hive's JDBC implementation. still looking...

thanks
Takis

Tolmekian

Dec 9, 2014, 11:46:47 AM12/9/14
to execut...@googlegroups.com
No need to apologise.
I started using EQ on version 4.1.1 where Set; and a handful of other things have always said "Method not supported" for my hive connection. I could download an earlier version and report back my findings tomorrow.

I've always used Squirrel SQL client for connecting to Hive as these functions work there and EQ for oracle although I much prefer EQ hence finally raising this to your attention :)

All the best,
Jason