John and Joseph Ewing

Richard Jonsson

Jan 31, 2015, 12:14:32 PM1/31/15
to Cory Ewing, Ewing Family Association
Cory,

Ref: Your request for any information re John Bertram Ewing (Jan 26, 2015)

The names John and Joseph have been gnawing at me, because Cheryl (Ewing) and I had the occasion to study a Ewing family of Toboyne, Cumberland, PA, that included those two names.

We had spent several years endeavouring to decipher the descendency of a William of Tyrone through his son, Samuel, and were finally successful (Ewing Family Journal - Vol 20 No. 1 (February 2014). During the research process we got involved with a Samuel of Toboyne (the adjacent township). We had headed that way because of the references in Margaret Fife's work, and during our research we found an error in her assumptions. However, by that time we had done some study re Samuel of Toboyne.

I share the information, recognizing that it is simply an assumption. However, it might be a possible possible path to follow.

The Rationale follows:
Toboyne 1790 census - Look at the number of males in John's household in the attachment
Mississippi did not open for settlement until 1798, and the flood of migrants took place between 1798 and 1819.
The Pennsylvania born John and Joseph Ewing (of Toboyne) had moved to Scott County, Kentucky, by 1809. Many of the Kentucky and Tennessee settlers made the move to Mississippi. It is entirely within possibility that both John and Joseph moved again - and many times children were named after family members.

The attachment is just a thought for consideration.

Regards and Good Hunting - Richard Jonsson

Ewing - Ewing of Toboyne.doc

Richard Jonsson

Feb 1, 2015, 12:25:44 AM2/1/15
to Cory Ewing, Ewing Family Association
Cory,

An additional bit for whatever it might be worth, and,

David Ewing's wisdom for the day
"Don't believe everything you think"

The following will tie to the note in the attachment in my previous email, in which our Cumberland Researcher, Richard Sickmon, stated that he had found no reference to family names when Joseph Ewing (Scott County) gave James Baxter (Toboyne) a Power of Atty in 1809 (Baxter had been a neighbor in Toboyne along with McClintock). We didn't follow up because we were on another path.

Had a hunch this P.M. and took a stab - it worked

An abstract:
Scott County, Kentucky Wills: 1794-1820 - Ancestry.com

OS Page 417
Name: Samuel Ewing
My son, Joseph
My wife, Ellena
My daughter, Martha Murry (possibly Murrey or Murray - RCJ)
My sons, John, Joseph, William, Robert, James, and Samuel.
Witnesses: Robert and James Ewing
Written: 24 July 1808
Probated: August 1808

Don't know if this is the family you're looking for, nevertheless,