Common ancestors of the Revolutionary War!

Dave and Eta

May 13, 2015, 6:54:19 AM5/13/15
to ewingfamily...@googlegroups.com
A former (deceased) member of the Erie Chapter S.A.R., Mr. Robert H. Johnson, confided in me that we both have ancestors who were involved in the American Revolutionary War. His ancestors were, Dr. Thomas Ewing and his uncle, James Ewing. To prove the connection, he sent me, before he died, copies of documentation showing the names of these two gentlemen on a monument in Greenwich, NJ, commemorating those patriots who took part in the Greenwich (NJ) Tea Burning, which took place on the evening of December 22, 1774.

The reason I am interested is that I, likewise, have two ancestors who participated in this event and who are also listed on the monument, Dr. Lewis Howell, and his brother, Governor Richard Howell.

Before he died, Bob emailed a copy of the documentation showing this information. I am assuming Dr. Thomas Ewing and James Ewing are members of your family. When I came across the link to the Ewing Family Association yesterday, I thought I would contact you.

Dave Howell

Jean Carter Wilson

May 27, 2015, 5:02:47 PM5/27/15
to ewingfamily...@googlegroups.com, dhow...@neo.rr.com
That's great!  Some here will have more information about your Thomas, most likely.  The NJ Ewings are related to some who went to Ohio and even Kentucky, though we're not yet sure exactly how.

Many EFA members are descended from Robert Ewing of Bedford (Peaks of Otter), VA, who fought in Lord Dunmore's War - considered a precursor to the Revolution.  (Robert is a DAR/SAR qualifying ancestor.)  His son, Brig. Gen. Robert Ewing II, my own 4th great grandfather, fought at the Battle of the Thames in the War of 1812 (to avenge the massacre of Kentuckians at the 'River Raisin') with his brother, Col. Young Ewing.  We are lucky to be descended from such a brave and distinguished family.

Jean C Wilson
Nashville