John Bertram Ewing

Cory Ewing

Jan 26, 2015, 6:12:24 PM1/26/15
to ewingfamily...@googlegroups.com
I was hoping someone may have information on John Bertram Ewing.

For years, I have never been able to go further back on my Ewing
lineage than 1806. My ggg grandfather was John Bertram Ewing. We
know that he married his wife (my ggg grandmother) in Amite County
Mississippi and had three children. The story passed down for
generations was that he had seven brothers (or that he was one of
seven brothers) from Pennsylvania. The only information I've been able
to find is a census form where he listed his birth year and place as
1806 and Pennsylvania. If anyone has any information regarding John
Bertram Ewing, I would greatly appreciate it.

I found your site, ewingfamilyassociation.org, while looking into DNA
testing for my family tree. If this is a viable path to find further
trace my line, please let me know.

Thank you!

My line....

John Bertram Ewing
Robert "Bob" Stewart Ewing
Joseph Barr Ewing
Joseph Barr Ewing, Jr.
Donald Ashton Ewing, Sr.
Cory Brandon Ewing (me)

Thank you!

Cory Ewing

Wallace Ewing

Jan 26, 2015, 6:47:04 PM1/26/15
to Cory Ewing, EFA
An interesting inquiry.  A quick Google search turned up a few hits, but nothing you don't already know about, I'm sure.  His headstone is on findagrave.com, and there was some other information.  I have nothing helpful for you, but suspect others who receive your query may have additional information.  Good luck as you continue your genealogical research.  Wally Ewing

Cory Ewing

--
Visit the main EFA site at http://www.ewingfamilyassociation.org
---

Steve Ewing

Jan 26, 2015, 7:28:08 PM1/26/15
to Wallace Ewing, Cory Ewing, EFA
My grandfather was named Bertram Thayer Ewing but we live in Massachusetts. I don't think there is a direct connection but I have yet to see the name Bertram associated with the surname Ewing.(His father was Albert so maybe that is where the name Bertram came from.) I thought I'd chime in. I have a brother, Colin Stewart Ewing and an uncle, Robert Thayer Ewing, too.
Steve Ewing

David Ewing

Jan 27, 2015, 7:06:07 AM1/27/15
to Cory Ewing, EFA
Cory asks whether the Ewing Surname Y-DNA project is "a viable path to find further trace [of] my line." The answer is a definite maybe.

Y-DNA evidence can be helpful in understanding the deep reaches of your family line. It "looks back" much further than will ever be possible using only conventional genealogical resources, but it often doesn't shed much light on questions that are close at hand. Used alone, Y-DNA cannot reliably distinguish your brother from your fifth cousin.

Our Y-DNA project has discovered that about 2/3 of the 150-odd participants have a common paternal line ancestor on the order of 500 years ago. We have called this the "large, closely related group of Ewings." The remaining 1/3 of our participants are a diverse group. Most of them have a common ancestor (who is also an ancestor of those in the large, closely related group) on the order of 8000 years ago, but some of them have a common ancestor no more recently than 30,000 years ago. There are some more closely related subgroups within the diverse group. Of course, all of this talk of "common ancestor" refers only to the common ancestor in the strict paternal line--in fact, all of us are much more closely related than this if we consider all of our family lines. To get a quick picture of the genetic distances involved, have a look at this diagram:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/431003/NetworkDiagramOverview.pdf

And to see how the project groups are defined, see:
http://www.ewingfamilyassociation.org/DNA_Project/DNA_ProjectResults/ResultsIntroduction.html

To learn more about the project or to get information about joining, go to:
http://www.ewingfamilyassociation.org/genealogy-and-history/y-dna-project
and follow the links.

David Neal Ewing

Richard Jonsson

Jan 27, 2015, 8:10:01 PM1/27/15
to Wallace Ewing, Cory Ewing, EFA
Cory,
 I too did a bit of a search in Ancestry. For whatever it's worth. There was an 8 May 2009 family tree posting for a John Bertrum (note spelling) Ewing born in 1806 in Lancaster County, PA. The owner of the tree is a normasmith72. According to the very limited tree, John had a son, John Joseph Ewing, born 3 June 1850 in Gillespie, Mississippi. Regards and Good Hunting - Richard Jonsson

Cory Ewing

Mar 2, 2015, 5:16:11 PM3/2/15
to ewingfamily...@googlegroups.com, wkew...@gmail.com, rjon...@hughes.net
Thanks to everyone for their replies.  This information may be a push in the right direction.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/ewingfamilyassociation.