oAuth redirect URI and custom URI scheme

Jay Caines-Gooby

Mar 3, 2015, 5:40:47 PM3/3/15
to eventbr...@googlegroups.com
I'm noodling about with an OS X menubar app and thought I'd be able to use a custom URI scheme for the OAuth Redirect URI...

When the redirect URI is something like http://localhost and I call:

https://www.eventbrite.com/oauth/authorize?response_type=token&client_id=MYCLIENTID

I can login, and get redirected to localhost along the lines of:

http://localhost/#token_type=Bearer&access_token=XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

as expected, but if I use a custom URI scheme like:

customscheme://auth

then once I login, instead of being redirected, the EB page shows a "Oops, something went wrong!" so I guess there's some parsing or pre-checking of the redirect uri going on, which causes the error before the redirect.

I was using a custom URI scheme, as it seemed the easiest way for my desktop app to get hold of the oAuth token. Has anyone done anything similar?

Jay Caines-Gooby

Apr 22, 2015, 11:42:47 AM4/22/15
to eventbr...@googlegroups.com
In case anyone else has a similar issue: https://twitter.com/eventbriteapi/status/590861041317187587

I'll work around this using a redirect URL to my own webserver, which will then issue its own redirect comprising the custom URI with the oAuth token appended, as suggested here: http://discuss.dev.twitch.tv/t/api-redirect-uri-and-desktop-application/1449/2