How to change the default for collection of attendee info via the API

cjl

Jan 28, 2016, 10:40:28 AM1/28/16
to Eventbrite API
When I create a new event (it is not possible yet to copy an event) it gets a new 'order form' with the default collection of ticket buyer. I can find no way to change this via the API but the developer docs say:

If the event is set to collect information for only the ticket purchaser (the default), all returned attendees will have the same information, apart from the barcodes and ticket_class_id.

So, if I create custom questions (again I have found no way via the api to alter the canned questions collected) they are always collected only for the buyer unless I go into the web management and change the order form for each event.

Surely there must be a way to change that order form info? Thanks

Mitch Colleran

Feb 5, 2016, 9:32:52 AM2/5/16
to Eventbrite API
Hi there!

Unfortunately, we haven't yet built the ability to modify the Order form via API.

Our Order form is relatively flexible/complex, which makes this task more difficult than it might appear, because of options like:
  • Collecting information at different object levels (Order vs Attendee)
  • Custom questions with multiple types (Drop downs, radios, checkboxes, waivers, etc.)
  • Limited quantities on custom question selections
  • Conditional logic on these questions
  • Team/Group/Association/etc. registration
  • Add-ons (merchandise / upsells)
One of our teams is currently working on a long term project that will enable these settings to be altered via API, but it's in development and doesn't have a projected release date.

cjl

Feb 18, 2016, 12:07:49 PM2/18/16
to Eventbrite API
Well since you already can create new custom questions https://www.eventbriteapi.com/v3/events/ID/questions/?token=TOKEN with a POST containing question.respondent (that is ignored because it just uses whatever the order form says) do you have any idea when we'll be able to just change that ONE flag when creating a new event from its default value of 'ticket-buyer'. Thanks

Whitney Kramer

Feb 2, 2017, 4:52:16 PM2/2/17
to Eventbrite API
Hi Mitch,

What's the status on making it possible to tailor the order form from the API?

I want to collect 1) job title and 2) organization.  These are both canned questions.  Is there any way to do this with the API which I may have missed.  Not a long term soln, but some poor soul on our side will be doing this manually.

Would love an update.

Whitney

Malina Wiesen

Feb 3, 2017, 3:47:34 PM2/3/17
to Eventbrite API
Hi Whitney,

As Mitch indicated, a team built out this functionality and we are currently testing it out internally.  Once we determines that it is reliable and secure, we will expose it externally.  We do not have a release schedule at this time.

Best,
Malina
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Brad Huyck

Jul 12, 2017, 6:38:47 PM7/12/17
to Eventbrite API
Hi. Any update on the development effort? Thanks.

cjl

Aug 24, 2017, 6:03:35 AM8/24/17
to Eventbrite API
Testing since Feb? Would you like a beta tester?

ryr...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2018, 6:08:18 AM1/12/18
to Eventbrite API
Where is this currently at?

I too would like to change the collection type of my events via the API.

I am using a custom question to collect some mandatory information but this gets bypassed as the event defaults to Basic Information.

Chuck Polaris

Jan 25, 2018, 11:02:00 AM1/25/18
to Eventbrite API
This would be very helpful and at this point is a need to have. Any updates?

mariajos...@the-cocktail.com

Feb 26, 2018, 2:22:52 PM2/26/18
to Eventbrite API
Hi I'm currently working on a integration that needs this feature, any update about this?
Thanks

matthew...@gmail.com

May 15, 2019, 7:25:46 AM5/15/19
to Eventbrite Developers
Digging for information on weather this ever got finished or not? would be useful to use

Jacob Best-Wittenberg

May 15, 2019, 11:19:36 AM5/15/19
to Eventbrite Developers
Unfortunately, no. This issue is still currently unresolved.

-Jacob
Eventbrite Developer Support

atlas...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2019, 11:41:21 AM6/10/19
to Eventbrite Developers
What is the point of being able to add custom questions, when these are not displayed without changing the Collection type?!

Can you please fix this asap?

Skynet5

Jun 24, 2019, 6:43:47 PM6/24/19
to Eventbrite Developers
You need to set a canned question first. That unlocks the functionality.

I notice even in the ui, setting the radio box auto adds home address... That was my clue.

Feels like a side affect, but why have APIs for any questions if you can't use them?

atlas...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2019, 7:22:14 PM6/24/19
to Eventbrite Developers
Thanks. But what do you mean by “unlocks the functionality”? I don’t even find an endpoint in the API to change the Collection type?

Or do you mean that the collection type is changed automatically to Buyer only, when I add a canned question?

Skynet5

Jun 25, 2019, 2:16:28 AM6/25/19
to Eventbrite Developers
I agree. It is quite odd logic.

But if you're happy setting a canned question, such as company, which can be optional. Then you can add custom questions.

There is no difference between the collection types of default and buyer only. Other than one lets you add questions.

They do need to reengineer some of their API decisions. I see they are recruiting....

Skynet5

Jun 25, 2019, 2:17:50 AM6/25/19
to Eventbrite Developers
Correct. It is a side affect.

I guessed this by the fact that they add in home address as optional canned question when using the Ui.

Nathan Tinius

Jun 25, 2019, 9:12:39 AM6/25/19
to Eventbrite Developers
Hey all,

While this may be working, it should not be considered a stable method and may not always work.

All the best!
Nathan

Skynet5

Jun 25, 2019, 9:27:41 AM6/25/19
to Eventbrite Developers
Can you put some test cases around this to prevent this breaking during your development lifecycle? At least until a supported solution is offered.

It might be worth removing questions from the API documentation otherwise, as they cannot be used without this really. We've spent development effort on this (based on your API feature list) only to hit this issue which throws up a massive question on the solution approach.

Arguably people may not even see this if they are configuring a canned question anyway, so walk in blind to a potential problem. My postman script did work, but one of our engineers tried to just create a question and it didn't work.