Multiple showstopper API issues

John Markhoff

Nov 6, 2015, 6:08:37 PM11/6/15
to Eventbrite API
We have opened three support tickets regarding various aspects of the API in the last week.  Here are the case numbers:

Eventbrite Case #2200057: Bug: Eventbrite API: 400 BAD REQUEST when setting 'ticket_class.sales_end' to a datetime in the past
Eventbrite Case #2212545: Bug: Eventbrite API: 400 BAD REQUEST when updating a venue without setting 'venue.address.region'
Eventbrite Case #2212625: Bug: Eventbrite API: POST requests to APIs to update information does not apply changes even though API returns success

That last one is a real humdinger.  For example, sending a POST request to /venues/ works just fine to create a venue (e.g. it might return an ID of '1234' along with other information) but sending a subsequent POST request to /venues/1234/ to update the venue results in the system responding in the affirmative BUT none of the requested changes are ever made.  Clearing my web browser cache and reloading an event page that uses the venue still shows the same venue name for a given event.  Similarly, updating an event with a new event title via a POST API request also appears to succeed (i.e. responds with what appears to be a correct response) but the new title never shows up on the website.  Was hoping this was some sort of transient issue that would just clear up on its own, but it looks more and more like a real (and significant) bug in the platform that has miraculously escaped attention - I guess no one really needs to update event or venue information via the API.

Given that 80 other support tickets were opened between case #2212545 and case #2212625 and those two cases were submitted less than an hour apart, I would not be surprised if your development team would never learn about the existence of these cases.  That's a lot of cases in a short amount of time.  Hence this post.  Please bring these cases up with your development team that manages the API.  Thanks!

Guus der Kinderen

Nov 11, 2015, 9:38:51 AM11/11/15
to Eventbrite API
Hi John,

I am in no way affiliated with Eventbrite - I am just another developer trying to use the Eventbrite API.

As we're starting to use the Eventbrite API ourselves, your post worried me. I gave the last two issues a try for myself.

Regarding the second issue (#2212545): I experience the exact opposite: I cannot create a venue unless I leave out venue.address.region. See for details my post here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/eventbrite-api/jRFIYGN0cwQ

Regarding your last issue(#2212625): I cannot reproduce this.

What I did:
  1. Create a new event using the POST /events/ endpoint
  2. updating the event name and description using the POST /events/:id/ endpoint
  3. Review the event page using the URL that is part of the response of the last request
  4. Review the event preview page on https://www.eventbriteapi.com/v3/events/<EVENT-ID-HERE>/
On both pages, the event name and description were updated as expected.

Mitch Colleran

Nov 11, 2015, 1:49:00 PM11/11/15
to Eventbrite API
Thanks for stepping in Guus! We're a little short handed right now with API support (so if you know anyone -- we're hiring for this role!).

Eventbrite Case #2200057: Bug: Eventbrite API: 400 BAD REQUEST when setting 'ticket_class.sales_end' to a datetime in the past
>>> For the new event service that's powering API V3, we don't allow a ticket_class to have it's sales_end date to be set in the past. So, this is expected behavior. Is there a use-case that I can't think of where you'd want to create a ticket_class that has already ended sales?

Eventbrite Case #2212545: Bug: Eventbrite API: 400 BAD REQUEST when updating a venue without setting 'venue.address.region'
>>> Similar to Guus, I wasn't able to reproduce the error when omitting region (because we have a static region list, it's commonly omitted. Guus -- this addresses your issue for the address in NL).

Eventbrite Case #2212625: Bug: Eventbrite API: POST requests to APIs to update information does not apply changes even though API returns success
>>> I couldn't initially reproduce this either. Could you send an email directly to me and give more details about the specific call you're making (Account email, actual parameters, where the call is originating, etc.)?

Cheers!
Mitch

Guus der Kinderen

Nov 12, 2015, 8:48:01 AM11/12/15
to Eventbrite API
When I wrote my last email I completely forgot about the issue that I raised myself, regarding the updates of an event. Although I am able to update the event description and name, I am not able to remove a pre-existing logo. See https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/eventbrite-api/Mp3NkH4zLiw for details. Although slightly different, perhaps this is a related issue to the one that John raised?