Event ownership

echoing.wav...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2017, 2:17:29 PM9/18/17
to Eventbrite API
Sorry if this is an often-asked question but...

Specifically what does it mean to "own" an event? I was under the impression that a user would "own" any events that they created with their user account. For example, if I created 3 events using my user account and I called /users/me/owned_events, those 3 events would be returned (provided they met all other criteria for showing up in the response as well of course).

Is that correct? I've read some info that leads me to think that an owner might be the Organizer that has been assigned to the event. That seems like a different thing to me but I'm just not 100% crystal clear on it.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Brad.

echoing.wav...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2017, 2:19:31 PM9/19/17
to Eventbrite API
For anyone else reading this - I spoke to a helpful Eventbrite rep today and they assured me that the "owner" of an event is in fact the user account that created the event and not the Organizer assigned to the event. Organizers are also owned by user accounts (just like an event) but which Organizer profile is assigned to an event has no bearing on which user owns the event. ***To own an event, a user must create the event.*** Phew!

This means...

/users/me/owned_events will only ever return events that were initially created by the account associated with the API token. Even if that user can "see" more events when they log into their Eventbrite account, /users/me/owned_events will only ever return the ones that were *created* by the owner. If you want all of the events that a user has access to (not just the ones the user owns) /users/me/events is a more appropriate endpoint. Remember, users can be subusers (or admins with their own subusers on their account) and admins/subusers can see each other's owned events.

Hope that helps somebody!
-Brad.

cjl

Nov 27, 2017, 1:35:46 PM11/27/17
to Eventbrite API
Thanks for the info Brad, that is really useful!

echoing.wav...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2017, 9:45:14 PM11/28/17
to Eventbrite API
Glad it could help! :)