Error encountered while trying: "Webhook Tutorial Using Flask"

psmi...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2016, 12:39:17 AM7/15/16
to Eventbrite API
First off: Thanks for putting together an excellent tutorial on using Python and Flask to interface to your service.

I was tootling right along following the step by step instructions, but when it came to running:
pip3 install -r requirements.txt (tried both pip and pip3)

My system crashed with the following:

https://gist.github.com/renopete/21c512d24967dae70105ed74c6188547

One issue that I ran into was that I couldn't find the eventbrite OAUTH_TOKEN, so I left .env as:

# Change to your personal Eventbrite OAUTH_TOKEN
EVENTBRITE_OAUTH_TOKEN=XXXXXXXXX

I expected some sort of error message indicating an invalid OAUTH_TOKEN, but the error that was generated makes it look like something is messed up in my environment.

Am new to Python and Flask, that's why I'm following this tutorial. Would appreciate suggestions on how to get over this little hump.

-Pete

Pete Smith

Jul 15, 2016, 1:34:19 AM7/15/16
to Eventbrite API
Scratch the above BUG report. After thinking some more about the issue, I decided to delete my virtualenv and start all over again.

Sure enough after re-installed the virtualenv:

    pip3 install -r requirements.txt

ran to completion without any issues. I may have messed something up when I originally set up the virtualenv, as I deleted it and reinstalled if several times.

However there are still 2 outstanding issues:

1 - where do I get my "personal Eventbrite OAUTH_TOKEN" ?
2 - when I ran:  "foreman start"
  The system responded:

  The program 'foreman' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
  sudo apt install ruby-foreman

I wouldn't think I'd need a ruby program in this context.

-Pete

Malina Wiesen

Jul 15, 2016, 9:38:56 AM7/15/16
to Eventbrite API
Hey Pete,

This article will give you more info on getting your credentials (OAuth Token): https://www.eventbrite.com/support/articles/en_US/How_To/how-to-locate-your-eventbrite-api-user-key?lg=en_US

Heroku uses foreman as a helper app to run and manage it's procfile based apps. It does look like Heroku has an alternative to foreman as of about one year ago: https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/heroku-local But it looks like Heroku Local still uses foreman under the hood.

Hope that helps!