"evennia dbshell" raises Rrror + (possible) Wiki errata

Tristano Ajmone

Apr 9, 2015, 9:20:25 AM4/9/15
to eve...@googlegroups.com
Today I tried to use Evennia's dbshell (within virutalenv, with and without Evennia running):

(virtualEvennia) D:\MOOs\Evennia\virtualEvennia\mud>evennia dbshell

    Command
      dbshell
    raised an error: 'You appear not to have the 'sqlite3' program installed or on your path.'.

(virtualEvennia) D:\MOOs\Evennia\virtualEvennia\mud>

I'm not sure what I'm missing here. I'm using SQLite3, as default, on Windows. I haven't "installed it" though, it was all handled by Evennia's default installation.
Is this message telling me that in order to use the dbshell functionality I should install SQLite3 for Windows? Am I missing some DLL?

What confuses me is the fact that Evennia/Django is handling the DB without problems, but it seems it can't interface it to dbshell though.

ERRATA:

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like this Wiki page might still be referring to the old system:

Inspecting database data

If you know SQL you can easily get command line access to your database like this:

python game/gamesrc.py dbshell

This will drop you into the command line interface for your respective database.

shouldn't it just be evennia dbshell?

Griatch Art

Apr 9, 2015, 9:44:07 AM4/9/15
to eve...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! It should indeed be just evennia dbshell.

The dbshell command executes the command-line client for that database. So you need to install the sqlite3 command line client to use it. I added a mention about that to the wiki page.
.
Griatch

Tristano Ajmone

Apr 9, 2015, 10:35:39 AM4/9/15
to eve...@googlegroups.com
Right! Thanks, it worked. I also added a note on the Wiki (on 2 pages dealing with dbshell) for Win users on how to set it up:

> NOTE: Under Windows OS, in order to access SQLite dbshell you need to [download the SQLite command-line shell program](https://www.sqlite.org/download.html). It's a single executable file (sqlite3.exe) that you should place in the root of either your MUD folder or Evennia's (it's the same, in both cases Django will find it).

Pretty straight forward, didn't even require the SQLite DLL to run -- maybe it's just because the DLL is already in the system due to some other software using SQLite (I am sure at least one software I've installed uses it), or maybe it's not required because Django operates only via the CMD shell via Python and doesn't have to interface to the OS more than so much.