How can I connect to the Europeana semantic endpoint

Vladimir Alexiev

Oct 1, 2013, 10:04:11 AM10/1/13
to europe...@googlegroups.com
> Sent: Mittwoch, 25. September 2013 17:46
> To: europe...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: Re: {Europeana API forum} API doesn't get a result based on title search?
> How can I connect to the endpoint of Europeana (http://europeana.ontotext.com/sparql)

Hi Carla! Thanks for your interest in our endpoint!

You can do full-text-search on the endpoint using a query like this:

PREFIX luc: <http://www.ontotext.com/owlim/lucene#>
select ?item ?title {
  ?proxy ore:proxyFor ?item; dc:title ?title.
  ?title luc: "Sofia"
}

This uses a custom predicate "luc:" and is explained at:

http://owlim.ontotext.com/display/OWLIMv53/OWLIM-SE+Full-text+Search#OWLIM-SEFull-textSearch-Example

After you run the query, pick a result to view how the data is laid out in the EDM graph, and which property is attached where.

Our dev for the endpoint, Boyan Simeonov, will add the luc: prefix (so you don't have to give it in the query) and some sample queries at http://europeana.ontotext.com/sparqlYou can also try interactive FTS using the search box in the header bar.

 > to make SPARQL query through my java project?

There are 2 popular Java frameworks for RDF & SPARQL: Jena and Sesame. (OWLIM itself is built on top of Sesame.) The endpoint serves standard SPARQL 1.1, so it's up to you which framework you choose.

Note: the endpoint has a snapshot of Europeana data from Nov 2012 (20M objects). I hope we'll have a running auto-update process in a couple of months.

Cheers! Vladimir