Country information and dc:Language filtering

Aldo Gordillo

Sep 29, 2015, 8:03:41 AM9/29/15
to Europeana API forum
Hi.
I'm having some trouble using the Europeana API.

First off, country information is not available on the search results, as opposed to what is explained here: http://labs.europeana.eu/api/search .
Is this a bug or should I include something specific in the query to get that information?

Secondly, I have realized that the language field is the language assigned to the resource with reference to the Provider. The actual language of the content is provided by the dc:language field.

For instance, in this query for retrieving all italian newspapers:

I'm obtaining german newspapers offered by Italian providers. I don't want that, I just want newspapers in Italian.
So, how can I make a query filtering by the dc:language param? Is that possible?
And coming back to my first question, how can I obtain the country data of these items? With this query these data is not included in the search results.

Greetings,
Aldo Gordillo

Péter Király

Sep 29, 2015, 8:08:04 AM9/29/15
to europe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aldo,

in http://labs.europeana.eu/api/data-fields page there is a table
which brings together the fields EDM schema and in different APIs. You
can use dc:language in search API as proxy_dc_language.

Cheers,
Péter

--
Péter Király
software developer

James Morley

Sep 29, 2015, 8:29:35 AM9/29/15
to europe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aldo

Péter is correct and his advice should solve your problem, but it also looks like in this instance there may be some underlying data quality issues which prevented your first method from working correctly. I will forward this on within the team here and see what I can find out.

Best wishes

James

Sep 30, 2015, 4:48:23 AM9/30/15
to Europeana API forum

Thanks for your quick responses.

Use the 'proxy_dc_language' solve mi problem of dc:Language filtering.

On the other hand, I still don't know how to get the country information in the search results.
There is bug or should I include something specific in the query to get that information?

Thanks in advance

Remy Gardien

Sep 30, 2015, 7:46:07 AM9/30/15
to Europeana API forum
Hi Aldo,

You are right, this is a bug, thank you for reporting and we'll try to address this as soon as possible. I will give you an update as soon as it is fixed.

Thank you,
Remy Gardien

Péter Király

Sep 30, 2015, 7:58:24 AM9/30/15
to europe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aldo,

you can use &profile=portal parameter such as in
http://www.europeana.eu/api/v2/search.json?wskey=xxxxx&query=skos_concept:%22http://vocab.getty.edu/aat/300026656%22&rows=100&start=1&profile=portal&qf=TYPE:TEXT&qf=LANGUAGE:it

It returns country information.
> --
> Visit Europeana Labs for API Documentation, Open Datasets, and our Apps
> Showcase - http://labs.europeana.eu
> ---

Remy Gardien

Sep 30, 2015, 8:18:34 AM9/30/15
to Europeana API forum

Thanks for that Péter, good spot!

The portal profile indeed seems to return country information.

Still however, the standard & rich one should too, so this is something that we (Europeana) will correct.

Best,

Remy Gardien