How to get the list of museums in the currnet city.

Mikhail Valuyskiy

Mar 1, 2015, 7:33:55 PM3/1/15
to europe...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody! I am very new user of this API, I looking for API which will help me to create a mobile application for about museums. So I need information about museums let say in Hamburg,Germany. And I need such info as working hours, location, title, topic of museum(historical, technical etc) So, can I use Europeana API for this purposes? and if yes, which kind of request I should use? Looking forward your reply, thank you!

James Morley

Mar 2, 2015, 3:41:32 AM3/2/15
to europe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mikhail

Firstly, welcome to the API forum and thanks for taking a look at the Europeana API.

Within our API you'll find metadata concerning cultural heritage objects rather than the institutions themselves. The sort of information you are after is certainly much needed, but it's not something that we aim to provide. There are some initiatives at a country level (for example Culture24 in the UK - http://www.weareculture24.org.uk/services/data-sharing/ ) but I'm not aware of any others quite like this across Europe.

Have you seen museums.eu?  They have pulled together a lot of this information, and I know from speaking with them 1) that it was a lot of hard work; but 2) that they are thinking about ways (technical and business models) in which they might share this data. It might be worth getting in touch with them.

Of course if you then want object from museums and they are in Europeana, then it's a simple API call to do this (for example if you go to a page such as http://museums.eu/collection/details/2147483647/754?pKeyword=woman this will be loading paintings using a call such as http://www.europeana.eu/api/v2/search.json?wskey=api2demo&query=woman&qf=DATA_PROVIDER%3a%22Museu%20Nacional%20d%27Art%20de%20Catalunya%22&start=1&rows=24&profile=rich )

I hope that this helps, but if you have further questions then please do get in touch.

Best wishes

James

Hi everybody! I am very new user of this API, I looking for API which will help me to create a mobile application for about museums. So I need information about museums let say in Hamburg,Germany. And I need such info as working hours, location, title, topic of museum(historical, technical etc) So, can I use Europeana API for this purposes? and if yes, which kind of request I should use? Looking forward your reply, thank you!

James Morley

Creative Industries Community Developer

T:
M: +44 (0)77 1336 0563
E: James....@europeana.eu

Skype: jamesinealing

If you’re interested in Europe’s cultural heritage, sign up for our newsletter at http://eepurl.com/SAaC5 and start receiving our monthly eNews, in English or French!

Europeana makes Europe’s culture available for all, across borders and generations and for creative re-use – follow how at #AllezCulture

Disclaimer: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system.

Péter Király

Mar 2, 2015, 3:44:31 AM3/2/15
to europe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mikhail,

my latest info is from September, and those might be outdated.

There are two ways:

1) There is a Provider API which concentrates on the providers, and
the detasets belonging to them. You can find the list of them:
http://labs.europeana.eu/api/provider/. You can list providers by
country, but not for city. So fist you should filter German
institutes, then manually select the Hamburg ones.

In September the data between this API was not fulfilled 100% percent,
I hope, that the status is much better now.

2) You can use facets in Search API filtering by country, and manually
select the Hamburg ones (I suppose not every Hamburg institutions'
name contains the word 'Hamburg'). Then you can use them in PROVIDER
and DATA_PROVIDER facets.

Regards,
Péter
> --