Time Range Search has some problems

Jos de Bruin

Sep 21, 2016, 3:09:18 PM9/21/16
to Europeana API forum
Time Range Search gets very confused when you combine a 3-digit and 4-digit year:

100+TO+999 gives 673355 results

100+TO+1999 gives 533174

100+TO+9999 gives 673339

1000 TO 999 (!) gives 669498

1000 TO 1000 gives 1653

999 TO 1000 gives 0

Best, Jos

Remy Gardien

Sep 22, 2016, 3:17:25 AM9/22/16
to Europeana API forum
Hi Jos,

Can you share your full search query please.

Thanks,
Remy

Jos de Bruin

Sep 22, 2016, 5:55:40 AM9/22/16
to Europeana API forum
http://www.europeana.eu/api/v2/search.json?wskey=*******&query=YEAR:[...+TO+...]&cursor=*&rows=25&profile=rich&reusability=open&media=true&qf=TYPE:IMAGE

The numbers cited in my post last night all seem slightly higher this morning, presumably the archive has grown again overnight, but the pattern remains the same.

Best, Jos

Remy Gardien

Sep 27, 2016, 5:25:22 AM9/27/16
to Europeana API forum
Hi Jos,

Thank you for the example.

The reason why your results don't make sense is that our "YEAR" field is defined and interpreted as a string rather than as an integer, as it can contain both numeric and alphanumeric values. This is why for instance a ranged search for between 1000 and 999 returns results, as 1000 is alphanumerically smaller than 999. Unfortunately, with this being the case, it is not possible to get the exact results that you would like the API to return, unless you do some client sorting/comparisons on your side after processing the result set.

As for the changing numbers: yes, our archive is constantly being updated and improved, as such, total results do change during the day.

Best,
Remy
Europeana