Could Europeana proxy be made fit for CORS?

Jos de Bruin

Aug 14, 2016, 11:06:22 AM8/14/16
to Europeana API forum
I am wrestling with the fact that not all (just a few?) of the contributing collections have apparently enabled their servers for CORS. I want to load images directly into a browser client, and not be forced to either download them first to my own server, maintain my own proxy or hack my way around this issue in another way .... I was hoping to use proxy.europeana.eu, but as far as I can tell this proxy is itself not CORS enabled and thus only useful for Europeana itself. Am I right in assuming this? If so, could this be changed to make the proxy also useful for people like me?

Thanks, Jos

James Morley

Aug 14, 2016, 12:20:22 PM8/14/16
to europe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jos

What size image are you after? You can now get up to 400px 'thumbnails' direct from Europeana, if that's enough?

Best, James

--
Visit Europeana Labs for API Documentation, Open Datasets, and our Apps Showcase - http://labs.europeana.eu
---

Jos de Bruin

Jos de Bruin

Aug 14, 2016, 3:27:18 PM8/14/16
to Europeana API forum
Actually, the thumbnails are served from europeanastatic.eu which also does not seem CORS friendly. Ah well ...

Remy Gardien

Aug 15, 2016, 3:33:15 AM8/15/16
to Europeana API forum
Hi Jos,

Thanks for your feedback.

As we do not control the servers of our data providers, it would be very difficult to have a generic CORS policy which would apply to all our media links.
However, I will investigate at least to see if we can enable CORS on our thumbnail domain, and possibly the Europeana proxy although that is something we do not publicly advertise (yet).

Regards,
Remy Gardien

Jos de Bruin

Aug 15, 2016, 4:00:06 AM8/15/16
to Europeana API forum
Thanks. Of course, this whole issue disappears if europeana.eu would serve scripts such as mine ....  Maybe that is a service you might consider (with proper restrictions to avoid abuse)?

Remy Gardien

Aug 15, 2016, 4:11:10 AM8/15/16
to Europeana API forum
We have plans to make it a bit easier to download (selections of) content on a bigger scale, but this is something for the longer term. Thanks again for the feedback.

James Morley

Aug 15, 2016, 6:07:08 AM8/15/16
to europe...@googlegroups.com
Hey Remy

Just a thought, how about building a CORS header check into the media file checker and then exposing the true/false as a facet? At least then they can be filtered. Possibly a rather edge case, but if it is simple it could be a quick win?

In any case, it might be nice to compile a list of providers that do and don't support this (and at the same time SSL) and publish this info so that providers can see and are hopefully incentivised to make changes or at least follow best practise when setting up services.

Cheers, James

---
James Morley
Work: iwm.org.uk / jmorley@iwm.org..uk

--
Visit Europeana Labs for API Documentation, Open Datasets, and our Apps Showcase - http://labs.europeana.eu
---

Remy Gardien

Aug 19, 2016, 10:15:53 AM8/19/16
to Europeana API forum
Hi James,

Thanks for your suggestion. We will keep it in mind, although this is not as straightforward as it might look it is indeed useful to have more information on the technical capabilities and limitations of Europeana's data providers.

Best,
Remy

Work: iwm.org.uk / jmo...@iwm.org..uk