Multitenant services (multiple service instances on a single port)

jwb...@gmail.com

May 5, 2016, 4:52:09 PM5/5/16
to eureka_netflix
As I begin to evaluate Eureka for my team, I'm trying to figure out whether Eureka expects to have I single service per port. We have some services that provide multiple versions on a single port and we need to advertise the availability of each version as a distinct service. It looks like structuring the service name to include the version would work reasonably well, but some of the description leads me to believe that Eureka expects only one service name to be associated with a host+port address.

Thanks for your response,
John Bito
Principal SDE
Zillow

dl...@netflix.com

May 5, 2016, 9:22:10 PM5/5/16
to eureka_netflix, jwb...@gmail.com
Hi,

The current data model of eureka is a bit old and has some inflexibilities associated with it, one of which is a more dynamic 1:n mapping of instance:services, which sounds like what you are describing (please correct me if that is incorrect). We are currently working on data model updates internally, and this specific limitation is also something we hope to address as well. Having said this, I can't commit to any timeline for the completion of this work unfortunately.

One possible "work-around" that you can try right now, is to leverage the metadata ability within Eureka to add the additional info as custom metadata in your environment. You can see information of how to set custom metadata at: https://github.com/Netflix/eureka/wiki/Overriding-Default-Configurations.

Thanks.

jwb...@gmail.com

May 6, 2016, 12:32:48 PM5/6/16
to eureka_netflix
Thanks for the quick response! It will help our evaluation.