About the size of Eureka registry

Panagiotis Partheniadis

Aug 18, 2016, 5:37:16 AM8/18/16
to eureka_netflix
Hello,

Here in Upwork.com, we use Eureka as the service registration and discovery system for our backend micro-service architecture. Our production registry has a size of 600KB in JSON format. We currently maintain 300 Services (aka Applications in Eureka world), each of which have 2-6 instances for a total of around 1,200 Instances registered. We maintain metadata for each of these instances and the size of each instance registration is between 2 and 5KB.

My questions:
- Do the size characteristics of our system impose any threat to the stability, reliability and availability? I understand that in Netflix, you probably handle thousands of instances but i wanted to ask whether the number of our Applications (i have a feeling that Netflix's services are not so micro...) or the size of the metadata per Instance may cause issues.
- Are there any configuration parameter tweaks (especially for Client - Server and Server - Server communication) that we need to do in order for us to be ok with such a registry size?
- What kind of log information we need to check for, in order to find such potential problems?
- What about availability? We maintain 2+2 Eureka Server instances, 2 in a different Availability Zone, in AWS. Does this seem to be good for our case?