Eureka 2.0 direction?

sanjayv...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2014, 8:37:25 AM10/24/14
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

Thanks for open sourcing Eureka and the OSS. We are considering using Eureka as an option for middle tier load balancing and had the following questions regarding Eureka 2.0 -

1. Will Eureka 2.0 API and behavior be backward compatible with 1.X? In other words can Eureka 1.X servers be migrated to use Eureka 2.0 with the existing clients of Eureka continuing to use Eureka 1.X Client to talk to Eureka 2.0 server during a transition period?

2. What is the time line for Eureka 2.0?

Thank you,
Sanjay Acharya

tb...@netflix.com

Oct 24, 2014, 10:26:03 AM10/24/14
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com, sanjayv...@gmail.com
Hello Sanja,

Eureka 2.0 is a complete rework of 1.0, with a new set of protocols and APIs. However to easy the migration we will have two kinds of backwards compatibility support:
1. it will be possibly to run both systems in parallel and keep them in sync (bridge between 1.0 and 2.0)
2. Eureka 2.0 will support legacy REST API, but very likely not 100%
We believe that during initial rollout, first option is best choice. Second options is for dealing with the long tail, where there is small amount of clients not migrated, but you want to get rid of 1.0 cluster already.

For the timeline, we plan to complete development and stability/performance testing end of this year.

Regards,
Tomasz

Sanjay Acharya

Oct 24, 2014, 11:34:53 AM10/24/14
to tb...@netflix.com, eureka_...@googlegroups.com

Hi T omasz

Thank you for your response. I am glad to hear that Netflix values backward compatibility support and intends to provide the same during migration.

When you mean not likely 100%, can you provide more detail? There appear to be 12 operations. Which of these will not be backward compatible?

Thanks
Sanjay

tb...@netflix.com

Oct 24, 2014, 12:51:54 PM10/24/14
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com, tb...@netflix.com, sanjayv...@gmail.com
I need to correct my last statement. Eureka 2.0 will be backward compatible with 1.0. Firstly we will implement the bridge between 1.0 and 2.0. Afterwards, we will add backwards compatible API to 2.0 cluster. In Q4/2014 our focus is on the former.

sanjayv...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2015, 6:38:38 AM2/14/15
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com, tb...@netflix.com, sanjayv...@gmail.com
Hi Tomaz and Team,

Thanks for the high level architectural diagrams. Would it be possible for you to share some simple instructions on deployment and configuration as with Eureka 1.X?

Thanks,
Sanjay

dl...@netflix.com

Feb 15, 2015, 2:12:31 PM2/15/15
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com, tb...@netflix.com, sanjayv...@gmail.com
Hi Sanjay,

Eureka 2.0 development is still ongoing, so any deployment and configuration instructions we would provide now may change going forward. We are hoping to release an RC1 soon, at which time the APIs and configurations would have hopefully stabilized and we will provide wiki documentation for these along with the release.

Thanks,
David

steve...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2015, 10:27:22 AM3/8/15
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Are there any update on expected time lines for the RC1 release?

I am interested in using eureaka for a couple of different projects and trying to decide if I should hold off so I can implement eureka 2 rather than trying to do a migration in the future.

RegardS,

Steven

Tomasz Bak

Mar 8, 2015, 7:37:44 PM3/8/15
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
We plan to release RC1 next week, given we can complete some eureka API cleanups.
Regards,
Tomasz

sanjayv...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2015, 9:13:34 PM7/10/15
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tomasz and team,

Been quite sometime since the projected release date for the RC for Eureka 2.0. I am curious regarding Netflix direction and timeline with this project considering it is taking so long to get a RC or release? Have you started using this internally at Netflix? How is it working out?

Thanks,
Sanjay Acharya

dl...@netflix.com

Jul 10, 2015, 9:26:27 PM7/10/15
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com, sanjayv...@gmail.com
Hi Sanjay,

We are still actively developing eureka2, though we have been delayed from an rc.3 release recently due to other priorities for the team. Though we are not using eureka2 in production yet, we do have test deployments. We are aiming for an rc.3 release in the near future, but with some rather large scale changes to the code base recently, we want to make sure the system is more tested before releasing rc.3.

Thanks,
David

johnw...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2015, 2:59:10 PM10/7/15
to eureka_netflix, sanjayv...@gmail.com
I just wanted to check in to see if there are any timeline updates for the 2.0 release. My team is looking at Eureka for service discovery but we don't want to roll out 1 if 2 is almost ready for primetime. Any updates would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the awesome code you guys keep putting out and keep up the great work!

-John

dl...@netflix.com

Oct 7, 2015, 3:07:23 PM10/7/15
to eureka_netflix, sanjayv...@gmail.com, johnw...@gmail.com
Hi John,

Thank you for the kind words. Regarding timeline update for 2.0, unfortunately we do not have anything concrete available for the community. If there is a need, our advice would be to use 1.0 for now. In any case, when 2.0 does become available we will be making sure that there are supported migration instructions/support code available.

Thanks