I'm not understanding why Eureka needs EIPs

Benjamin Pollack

Mar 25, 2014, 11:06:15 AM3/25/14
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com
I'm fairly sure this is just a mental block on my part, but I'm really not understanding why EIPs are required for Eureka at all.  I think of EIPs as being useful for externally visible services, but surely you want to keep your Eureka servers private via VPCs and security groups anyway.  It seems that using Route53 A records, one per availability zone, with short TTLs, would be sufficient for Eureka's purposes—especially since Eureka already relies on Route53 TXT records to find other Eureka servers anyway, as far as I can tell.

Why are EIPs favored over using Route53 as described above?  DNS caching concerns?  Security group issues?  Something else I'm not thinking of?

Thanks,
--Benjamin

Nitesh Kant

Mar 25, 2014, 11:29:21 AM3/25/14
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com

Historically, Eureka did not use Route53 as it would require AWS credentials, which in our environment was provided by another service, discovering which would need eureka.
With the advent of on-instance keys, that limitation no longer exists and we can potentially use route53

Eureka does depend on dns TXT records but it does not have a direct dependency on route53 APIs perse.