inter-service dependency visualization

Tajdar Siddiqui

Mar 17, 2015, 8:35:25 AM3/17/15
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am a newbie to Eureka.

Is there a way for inter-service dependency visualization (some kind of dashboard).

Many thanx,

Nitesh Kant

Mar 17, 2015, 9:57:54 AM3/17/15
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com
Eureka does not intercept/proxy IPC calls & hence it can not provide meaningful data about inter-service dependencies.
Distributed tracing in netflix is done via instrumenting IPC calls in our IPC stack. That infrastructure is not yet open sourced.

Tajdar Siddiqui

Mar 17, 2015, 11:45:24 AM3/17/15
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com
Thanx for your reply Nitesh,

A few more follow-ups

1.The dist. tracing captures a transaction as it flows through different services ?
So in essence inter-service dependency is derived from the tx flow ?

A --> B --> C

A is directly dependent on B but B calls C to get something done for A's all, so A is indirectly dependent on C ?

On Tuesday, March 17, 2015, Tajdar Siddiqui <sidd...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I am a newbie to Eureka.

Is there a way for inter-service dependency visualization (some kind of dashboard).

Many thanx,

Nitesh Kant

Mar 17, 2015, 1:38:44 PM3/17/15
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com
Correct, inter-service dependency is derived from distributed tracing data and a service has direct and indirect dependencies.

Tajdar Siddiqui

Oct 23, 2015, 9:20:54 AM10/23/15
to eureka_netflix, nites...@gmail.com
Its been a while, so wanted to check back :

Is the netflix infrastructure for distributed call tracing open sourced yet ?

Also, is it similar to zipkin  ?

Thanx,

dl...@netflix.com

Oct 26, 2015, 2:12:47 AM10/26/15
to eureka_netflix, nites...@gmail.com
Hi Tajdar,

Internally we use a homegrown library based on the Dapper paper, which is not yet open sourced. It is similar to Zipkin in that both are modeled after Dapper. There are some current work on our IPC stack so we can't promise a date for open sourcing unfortunately.

Thanks