How to support version upgrade for a service? and How to locate a service by version in the client?

Jason

Feb 3, 2015, 9:29:57 PM2/3/15
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

I'm new to Eureka, we are looking for a Micro service registry solution for our new micro service architecture, seems Eureka meets some of our requirements but not all, one requirement in our application is we may keep instances in different service versions running in the production deployment, and clients pick up service instance by service name and version, how can we achieve this in Eureka? what's the best practice?

Thanks,
Jason

Nitesh Kant

Feb 4, 2015, 12:48:39 AM2/4/15
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jason,

Eureka has a concept of a vipaddress which is a free flow string. Inside Netflix, people use this to group a homogeneous instances.
In your usecase, you can have a different VIP for different service versions.
The clients can then query instances for a specific version using a corresponding VIP.