Eureka on AWS for distributed coordination

Ago

Apr 22, 2015, 4:27:31 AM4/22/15
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I have a Tomcat web app running on AWS. I would like to have several instances of it instead of only one, mainly to avoid down-time in case of problems on one instance. I need a concept of a "leader instance" because some operations should not be carried out by all instances but only one of them. Does Eureka provide features like leadership election and quorum? I had a look at the wiki on github but I am not quite sure, I was a bit confused by this sentence in the FAQ page:

Zookeeper's power comes to the fore with leader election, ordered updates, distributed synchronization along with its consistency guarantees (quorums).

None of the above except the replication registry really applies to Eureka to justify an other dependency that we have to deal with the following complications:

You will have to now find a way to assign EIPs to zookeeper similar to Eureka.
Deal with failures when zookeeper fails.

Thank you,
Ago

Nitesh Kant

Apr 22, 2015, 10:02:52 AM4/22/15
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com
Eureka is not a replacement for zookeeper. It is a solution designed specifically for service discovery. It favors availability over consistency and hence can not be used for leader election, distributed locks, etc. We do not have any plans to add those features.

Santosh S

Apr 27, 2015, 7:01:02 PM4/27/15
to eureka_...@googlegroups.com, oma...@gmail.com
Agree with Nitesh. Your requirements fits with Zookeeper. Check out curator recipes for Leader election. It's already implemented there.

http://curator.apache.org/curator-recipes/leader-election.html