Peer Learning?

Tom Hall

Aug 31, 2013, 5:50:10 AM8/31/13
to erlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

I am attending the Amsterdam camp and am enjoying it but just wanted to make a suggestion.
I think the range of exposure to Erlang in the room is quite wide, I had for instance dabbled before, so the speed with which people complete questions is very varied.
My suggestion is just have different tables for the different parts of the course, maybe some written notes and/or your book and let people go at their own pace. Let people help their peers if they blaze through it all and cut down on dead time for them and the admins can circulate a bit more too perhaps.
I think teaching with the sort of teacher/student ratios you have is always going to be hard but thought it worth suggesting.

Thanks for the course so far,
Tom

Martin Logan

Aug 31, 2013, 12:11:37 PM8/31/13
to erlan...@googlegroups.com
I like this idea. We will think about how to incorporate more peer learning. Different tables can be difficult becuase often times desks are fixed in the venues we have - think lecture halls. I think we can still leverage it a bit more. I tried to follow it in the last talk and have folks that had an app built help those that did not. I think we can get better there. Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,
Martin

Martin Logan
Erlang & OTP in Action (Manning) http://manning.com/logan