Tell me about your first 26.2

Heather

Sep 10, 2014, 12:33:01 PM9/10/14
to erie-run...@googlegroups.com
For a blog post: in honor of this weekend's marathon: Tell me about your first time (running 26.2) -- where did you run it? What was your experience like? Was it your "one & only"?

dal...@hotmail.com

Sep 10, 2014, 12:49:28 PM9/10/14
to erie-run...@googlegroups.com
This will be my first marathon.  I did all the training but I am still nervous as heck.

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 09:33:01 -0700
From: zipd...@gmail.com
To: erie-run...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [Erie Runners Club] Tell me about your first 26.2

For a blog post: in honor of this weekend's marathon: Tell me about your first time (running 26.2) -- where did you run it? What was your experience like? Was it your "one & only"?

Karen Manganaro

Sep 10, 2014, 1:00:25 PM9/10/14
to erie-run...@googlegroups.com
If I was going to run one it had to be big - New York City 2009!! An unforgettable experience and the start of my obsession. Marathon/ultra #24 & #25 coming up in October!!

Sent from my iPhone

Rob von Thaden

Sep 10, 2014, 1:34:08 PM9/10/14
to erie-run...@googlegroups.com
The Toronto Waterfront Marathon in 2013 was my first marathon. It was an amazing experience and I am registered to run it again this year. They do such a wonderful job of organizing it and the city is so supportive (I can think of very few stretches where there wasn't anybody cheering us on). The neighbors vie for the best entertainment along the route, which makes for a wonderful race.

The experience was so positive that I registered for and ran the inaugural Pro Football Hall of Fame Marathon in Canton, OH half a year after the first marathon in Toronto. Despite being an inaugural run, this race, too, was extremely well organized.

Because of these great experiences I'm pretty much a marathoner now until my body gives out. ;) The training program, I find, helps me organize the rest of my life -- I have to get the running in, so I better be clear about how I'm getting everything else done!

--Rob von Thaden

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Heather <zipd...@gmail.com> wrote:
For a blog post: in honor of this weekend's marathon: Tell me about your first time (running 26.2) -- where did you run it? What was your experience like? Was it your "one & only"?

"Like sentences, shell beans are a great deal more trouble to produce than anyone who isn't producing them knows."
-- Adam Gopnik

Cronk, Amy

Sep 10, 2014, 1:36:45 PM9/10/14
to erie-run...@googlegroups.com

Pittsburgh, 2009 first of 2 , great course, a lot more hills then expected, but definitely enjoyable and even went back for a 2nd time in 2011, would like to do more, but so time consuming may be awhile be fore I can train for another one.

Amy K. Cronk CIC,API, AIS, AINS

Lead Personal lines Underwriter

 1-877-758-3743 ext 1081

Fax 814-461-2862

Cell 814-969-9830

image002

image002

Sep 10, 2014, 5:40:32 PM9/10/14
to erie-run...@googlegroups.com
Pittsburgh 2001. I had trained in San Francisco and was a nervous wreck. I had trained doing the Galloway method. I remember how hard it was to walk in the early miles, I was afraid I would never catch up. ​Then something really cool happened. Around mile 21 I realized I did not have to walk anymore. My 24th mile was my fastest and I had a kick at the finish line.
I loved the fans and the cityscapes.

MARY CONSTANCE CONNERTY

Sep 10, 2014, 5:51:06 PM9/10/14
to erie-run...@googlegroups.com
Dublin, Ireland, 2001.  Just 2 months after 9/11 and 6 months after losing my mom.  I was so nervous, but the race was full of folks from around the world wearing FDNY caps, and long-lost family members were at every water/Guinness stop.  It was an amazing atmosphere, and I made friends I still communicate with today. I had the time of my life!

Sep 10, 2014, 8:12:42 PM9/10/14
to erie-run...@googlegroups.com
Athens Marathon 2012. OK, Athens, Ohio but still....It starts with a downhill first mile, more or less...I never got over that and it crippled me in later miles. Live and learn.
Alfred G. Warner
Associate Professor
Black School of Business
Penn State Erie

Mike Filutze

Sep 10, 2014, 9:42:14 PM9/10/14
to erie-run...@googlegroups.com

My first marathon was at Presque Isle 1977 3:20. My last marathon was New York city with

Bruce Yount 11/2 /97 who died 2 months later in Mexico. I’ve run 103 Marathons and one of 6 runners who ran a 100th Boston’s Marathon.

First marathon was the Walt Disney World Marathon in 2014. I was worried that I was going to be swept but ended up with a time I was very proud of. I never thought that "I will never do another marathon". I was very surprised how sore I became around mile 22. I've Signed up for the Dopey Challenge for 2015 at Walt Disney World.

Julie

Sep 12, 2014, 12:12:37 PM9/12/14
to erie-run...@googlegroups.com, erie-run...@googlegroups.com
Pittsburgh 2003. I recognized Carl Williams from ERc and tried to keep him in my sight. By mile 13 I realized that plan was futile as the seasoned got faster as the miles went on, a mind blowing concept for a newbie! A great experience with my family jogging the last mile with me into Heinz Stadium!
Sent from my iPhone