How do you fuel on long runs?

Heather

Apr 7, 2015, 3:01:24 PM4/7/15
to erie-run...@googlegroups.com
Hi gang! For a Runner's notes blog post: Today's topic is a question from a friend who asked....How do you fuel on long training runs? What to do you carry with you to eat/drink? Do you drop water...plan routes near water...or just gut it out? What about gels, beans, etc. What's your long run fueling strategy?  (Not racing...but training long runs).

~ Heather C.

Leo Fohl

Apr 7, 2015, 8:49:13 PM4/7/15
to erie-run...@googlegroups.com
Long runs for me are anything over an hour.  I train like I race.  I always carry fluids.  I drink what I want, when I want.  I have a two bottle, 10oz, Nathan fuel belt that I use on my runs.  Short runs, I carry one bottle; long runs two bottles.  My favorite fueling products (for 10 years and counting) are Hammer Nutrition products.    Long run fueling products for me are Hammer Nutrition products
Sustained Energy which is a powder mixed with water that goes in my 10oz bottles and Hammer Gels for a little variety.  I have read
articles of athletes using Sustained Energy as their sole fuel on iron-man and other ultra events.      Check out Hammer products at http://www.hammernutrition.com

Leo Fohl

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 at 3:01 PM
From: Heather <zipd...@gmail.com>
To: erie-run...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [Erie Runners Club] How do you fuel on long runs?
Hi gang! For a Runner's notes blog post: Today's topic is a question from a friend who asked....How do you fuel on long training runs? What to do you carry with you to eat/drink? Do you drop water...plan routes near water...or just gut it out? What about gels, beans, etc. What's your long run fueling strategy?  (Not racing...but training long runs).

~ Heather C.

Dino

Apr 25, 2015, 8:40:36 PM4/25/15
to erie-run...@googlegroups.com
Everyone is different as far as how much, when, and what they can take. Experiment and figure out what works. I think I do it the traditional way 10oz of fluids per hour, fuel every 45 min. But, it all depends on how long you're running. During a 1/2 or full marathon I know I'm drinking every mile and fueling every 6. If that's what I'm training for that's how I'll do it so there are no surprises on race day.

I always used to drop water/sports drink out on the course either the night before and morning of a long run of 15 or more. Now I just carry either a 10 or 20 oz handheld bottle. I was always opposed to carrying out of fear that it would slow me down, now I just don't care. I even carried it during my last 1/2 and full marathons and times were still spot on. The rule of thumb is 10 oz of fluid per hour of running. Do you NEED it? No. Will it kill your run if you don't drink during your 60 min run? Prob not. I don't chug the 10 oz right at 60 min, I just take a few sips, 2-3 oz, every couple of miles. For long runs, I try to run around places that have a fountain in order to refill. i.e. Asbury/Browns Farm, P.I. If i'm out on a random course, no shame in using a Sheetz or Co Fair to re fill!

As far as nutritionals  go, I live and die by Clif Shot Bloks. It's a mental thing. I like to eat, so actually chewing something semi solid gives me a bit of relief as opposed to choking down thick gels. Rarely do I take anything if i'm only running 60 min or less. If it's longer like 90 minutes, I'll take it at about 6-7 miles or every 45 minutes. One thing that usually doesn't sit well physically is if you chase a gel or whatever fuel you are using with an electrolyte sports drink. If I take bloks, I drink water with them.

My go to products:
Clif Shot Bloks (NOT the blackberry!)
Heed Lemon Lime (typically after the run to re-hydrate, rarely during)
Nuun (during, after, whenever, they're all good)