Physics: By Beauty it is beautiful.

sadovnik socratus

Jan 30, 2011, 12:23:00 PM1/30/11
to Epistemology
Physics: By Beauty it is beautiful.
#
After reading book ‘Albert Einstein’ by Leopold Infeld.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_Infeld
========================.
Page 4.
‘ Many believe that relative theory tells us that ours
is a kind of Alice-in-Wonderland universe; . . . .‘
‘ How, then, did the prejudice about the mysterious relative
Alice-in-Wonderland universe arise?’
#
I will try to give my brief remark about this situation.
1.
In the 19th century aether /ether was the term used to
describe a medium for the propagation of quantum of light
(electromagnetic waves ).
This aether had strange chracteristic.
On one hand it must be very thin, because the planets
move through it without resistence.
On the other hand it must be very hard, because quantum
of light is a transverse wave. And a transverse wave can
move only in a hard space. It was created many theories
to explain this paradox but without success.
2.
In 1887 the Michelson-Morley experiment
showed that the speed of quantum of light is constant in all
directions regardless of the motion of the source.
This experiment was interpreted as ’ether doesn’t exist’.
3.
In 1905, Albert Einstein resolved this paradox by revising the
Galilean model of space and time to account for the constancy
of the speed of light. Einstein formulated his ideas in his
special theory of relativity, which advanced humankind's
understanding of space and time.
/ The special theory of relativity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light
4.
In 1908 Herman Minkowski explained Einstein’s
idea using time as forth dimension and said:
‘ Henceforth, space by itself, and time by itself,
are doomed to fade away into mere shadows,
and only a kind of union of the two will preserve
an independent reality.’
=======================.
#
So, ‘ How, then, did the prejudice about the mysterious
relative Alice-in-Wonderland universe arise?’
My opinion.
On the page 5 Infeld wrote:
‘ Science is a rational structure; the greatest pleasure
in studying is that of understanding. Without it
knowledge means little.’

Very well. But if the ‘ Science is a rational structure’
then where is the Minkowski (-4D ) in nature, where
is the ‘only a kind of union of the two’ ?
Nobody knows where it is.
So, what is about a rational structure?
So, what is about a real structure, real nature?
I don’t mean to criticize.
I only cannot understand why the trick of changing
concept of ether on the concept of space-time was passed
without doubt, with glory and proud.
=====.
P.S.
Maybe the reason of (-4D) long live is it
mathematical beauty ?
Page 45.
‘Minkowski mathematical genius put Einstein’s ideas
into a new geometrical form that fully revealed their
beauty and simplicity.’

But is it correct to say, that these two parameters real enough
to explain and understand the real nature?
About 2500 years ago, according to Plato, Socrates said:
‘ I do not go so far as to insist upon the precise details;
only upon the fact that it is by Beauty that beautiful
things are beautiful.’

This is exactly that physicists are doing.
And as a result, going in such beautiful mathematical
way we have many paradoxes in physics.

Without the precise physical details, like: volume (V ),
temperature (T ) and density ( P) the Minkowski
beautiful and simple (-4D) is a pure mathematical game,
it is an abstraction.
=======.
All the best.
Israel Sadovnik Socratus
==============================.

sadovnik socratus

Jan 31, 2011, 6:02:26 AM1/31/11
to Epistemology

Book ‘Albert Einstein’ by Leopold Infeld.
Page 4.
And out of this fantastic, relative world that Einstein
created there suddenly appeared the atomic bomb.
Page 36.
Its title is ‘Does the Inertia of a Body Depend on Its Energy?’
This short paper states: the use of atomic energy is,
in principle, possible. Forty years later, the work
of many scientists showed that the use of atomic
energy is practicable as was demonstrated . . . . .
. . . in the New Mexican desert and the devastation
at Hiroshima.
=============.
So, on the one hand SRT is true theory.
But on the other hand its basis ( -4D) is abstract.
To tell half of truth is worse than pure lie.
When in SRT practical truth mixed with an abstract meaning
of (-4D) our logical thought sink as ‘ unsinkable Titanic’.
SRT, as a good mirror, shows us the real ugly understanding
the concept that we call ‘ Scientific Knowledge’.
But . . .but . . .
‘ One thing I have learned in a long life:
that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive
and childlike - and yet it is the most precious thing we have.’
/ Einstein /
=============.

Serenity Smiles

Feb 3, 2011, 4:37:38 AM2/3/11
to episte...@googlegroups.com
Trust is such a crap concept (CC), you trust your fairy lights will work
when you buy them at Christmas but they dont. You trust someone in an
agency to pass a message but they forget, or cannot be assed.

For me CC = Trust, Catholic Church, Social Services, Mental Health, and all
negative systems that do not work!!!!!!!!!!!

Serenity Smiles

Feb 3, 2011, 4:47:13 AM2/3/11
to episte...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to disturb again, I forgot to add, of course, it is my desire to see
you all as wish fulfilling gems.