New release (?), pgapp design

David Welton

Aug 28, 2017, 1:21:45 PM8/28/17
to Erlang epgsql Postgres driver use and development
It's been a while since we've rolled out a release. Is it worth it to do one?

Also, anyone interested in the API design off pgapp should take a look here:

https://github.com/epgsql/pgapp/issues/22

--
David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/

http://www.dedasys.com/

Sergey Prokhorov

Aug 29, 2017, 3:46:18 AM8/29/17
to Erlang epgsql Postgres driver use and development
There are a bunch ob PRs that would be nice to have fixed and merged before publishing a new release:

Return stack trace when rolling back a transaction
Correct specs to reflect tcp/socket errors and sock_closed
Use `ssl_opts` when trying to make `ssl` connection  bug
and, probably,
Cancel query when timeout is reached (more complex one)

At the moment there is not so many changes in "devel" branch:

* Fixed warning on Erlang 20
* Tests converted to CommonTest; postgresql started by Erlang, not by .sh scripts
* Use rebar3 for tests, dialyzer etc

Sergey Prokhorov

Oct 10, 2017, 3:46:47 PM10/10/17
to Erlang epgsql Postgres driver use and development
Ok, so far we still not ready to merge:

* Cancel query on timeout
* Specs correction
* Flexible `with_transaction`

But upcoming features (pluggable commands PR https://github.com/epgsql/epgsql/pull/139 and pluggable datatypes Issue https://github.com/epgsql/epgsql/pull/109) are kind of too big and maybe they should be added to next release but not to 3.4.0.

So, maybe we can release new version now, because it has some fixes for Erlang 20.0 and it's not so good to delay those fixes for too long.
At least, we may make a minor release like 3.4.1.

David Welton

Oct 10, 2017, 4:15:03 PM10/10/17
to Sergey Prokhorov, Erlang epgsql Postgres driver use and development
> So, maybe we can release new version now, because it has some fixes for
> Erlang 20.0 and it's not so good to delay those fixes for too long.
> At least, we may make a minor release like 3.4.1.

+1

Sergey Prokhorov

Oct 10, 2017, 4:49:17 PM10/10/17
to Erlang epgsql Postgres driver use and development
Ok, will do right now.

Changelog:

* Use rebar3 as default build and test tool
* Move tests to common test; launch test postgresql server from Erlang
* Compatibility with Erlang 20
* `ssl_options` connection option fixed
* New types: int8range and int4range

Sergey Prokhorov

Oct 10, 2017, 5:02:11 PM10/10/17
to Erlang epgsql Postgres driver use and development
Done: https://github.com/epgsql/epgsql/releases/tag/3.4.0