New epgsql release roadmap

Sergey Prokhorov

Nov 29, 2016, 8:48:37 AM11/29/16
to Erlang epgsql Postgres driver use and development
Looks like it's a good time for the next epgsql release:
- There is a lot of improvements and new features
- Last release was released more than half year ago

There is some not yet fixed / committed issues/PRs and I thing it will be good to fix them before release.

* Fix typespecs, related to date and time. https://github.com/epgsql/epgsql/pull/106
* (Minor) Inconsistency in delete ... returning https://github.com/epgsql/epgsql/issues/86

Probably add extended 'with_transaction/3' https://github.com/epgsql/epgsql/pull/111

Currently changelog may look like:

* Streaming replication protocol support (epgsql may act like PostgreSQL slave) https://github.com/epgsql/epgsql/blob/devel/streaming.md
* Options now may be passed as map()
* More error extra data fields returned in #error{extra} http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/protocol-error-fields.html
* Added `set_notice_receiver/2` function to dynamically change receiver for asynchronous notifications
* Asynchronous notifications receiver may be set to registered process name (atom)
* `get_cmd_status/1` function added**

* TODO: fixed return value of `DELETE ... RETURNING ..` in case when 0 rows was deleted (now returns `{ok, 0, Columns, []}` instead of `{ok, 0}`)
* Some typespecs fixed (TODO: #106)
* TCP socket implicitly closed when epgsql connection process terminates

** The main practical usecase is to detect if transaction was committed after COMMIT.

{ok, _, _} = epgsql:squery(C, "BEGIN").
{error, _} = epgsql:equery(C, "SELECT 1 / $1::integer", [0]).
{ok, _, _} = epgsql:squery(C, "COMMIT").
{ok, rollback} = epgsql:get_cmd_status(C).

David Welton

Nov 29, 2016, 12:16:32 PM11/29/16
to Sergey Prokhorov, Erlang epgsql Postgres driver use and development
> Looks like it's a good time for the next epgsql release:
> - There is a lot of improvements and new features
> - Last release was released more than half year ago

+1 from me.

--
David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/

http://www.dedasys.com/

Сергей Прохоров

Dec 1, 2016, 6:15:24 AM12/1/16
to David Welton, Erlang epgsql Postgres driver use and development
Hey, Davidw (and others, if there are any). May you, please, review last 2 pull-requests before I can tag this release?

Sergey Prokhorov

Jan 16, 2017, 5:19:02 AM1/16/17
to Erlang epgsql Postgres driver use and development
So, finaly, epgsql 3.3.0 https://github.com/epgsql/epgsql/releases/tag/3.3.0

David Welton

Jan 16, 2017, 1:28:51 PM1/16/17
to Sergey Prokhorov, Erlang epgsql Postgres driver use and development
Excellent! Thanks for all your work on this!