New Enzo visualizations from the NCSA Advanced Visualization Lab

Nathan Goldbaum

Jul 21, 2017, 11:13:22 AM7/21/17
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I wanted to make the list aware of two new visualizations that were recently produced here at NCSA for the Advanced Visualization Lab using Enzo data.

The first (narrated by Brian, if I'm not mistaken), highlights the Renaissance Simulations, visualizing many different spatial scales and fields, and making use of several distinct simulations:

The second highlights one of my simulations, visualizing a live, high resolution disk galaxy simulation:

Both of these animations were used for a documentary called "Seeing the Beginning of Time" about the DES/LSST efforts. If you have an Amazon Prime subscription you should be able to view it on the Amazon streaming service. These new stand-alone narrated versions have been submitted to the SC visualization competition, so you may see more of these in the future.

The reason I wanted to highlight these visualization is that they were made possible by the openness of the community. In particular, the fact that the Enzo source code and output format are publicly available and documented, along with the availability of yt to read and parse Enzo data into Python data structures, makes it relatively easy for the visualization experts to make these.

In addition, these particular visualizations are a product of some technological innovation from the NCSA AVL team. These days they are using the Houdini software package to do their visualizations. Houdini is a commercial special effects package and does not have readers for Enzo data or AMR data. To fix this, Kalina Borkiewicz and Jill Naiman recently wrote ytini, which provides an interface between yt and houdini to write AMR data in a format readable by houdini. More information about ytini here: http://ytini.com/

So, keep in mind that these technologies exist, and that they are uniquely enabled by the commitment to open science, open software, and open data in our community. If you have data that you think would make for a good visualization for a dome show or documentary, especially if data come from Blue Waters or other XSEDE resources, I strongly encourage you to contact the AVL team - they may make something stunningly beautiful from it!

Best,

Nathan

Brian O'Shea

Jul 21, 2017, 11:36:31 AM7/21/17
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nathan,

Thanks for sending this out!  A small correction about the video I narrated - it's actually a single simulation (the Renaissance Simulation "normal" volume), but several different data outputs.

Cheers,
Brian

Norman, Michael

Jul 21, 2017, 3:01:45 PM7/21/17
to enzo...@googlegroups.com

These are fabulous! Your simulation is amazing Nathan! I have always had that in my “minds eye”, but now you and the viz folks have made it real. It is a watershed to be able to simulate and visualize all the SN going off.

Mike

Norman, Michael

Jul 21, 2017, 3:03:02 PM7/21/17
to enzo...@googlegroups.com

Brian, I love the script and your narration of it for our stuff. Very economical, and well synced to the visuals. Great job.  Mike