Accreting Particle Tests

John Regan

Nov 24, 2016, 5:19:51 AM11/24/16
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Does anyone know if yt scripts exist to test the accreting particle implemetations in Enzo-3.0? There are tests (Collapsing isothermal sphere etc) but it's not clear if analysis scripts were ever written to test the result against analytical solutions (a la Shu et al.) or if these tests are included in the test suite. CollapseTestAccretingParticleTwoSphere looks like it is included in the test suite but the other tests may not be?

If anyone knows anything about these tests or has any experience with them just drop me a line.

Cheers,
John

Nathan Goldbaum

Nov 24, 2016, 8:46:44 AM11/24/16
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, for example this script:

https://bitbucket.org/enzo/enzo-3.0/src/22fbe6b539c500ee073b48e5c27cd20035f67397/run/Hydro/Hydro-3D/CollapseTestAccretingParticle/aptest.py?at=enzo-dev&fileviewer=file-view-default

Keep in mind this script was there written before yt had suppport to read active particles, so it's quite kludgy.

Please also note that the problem is not really the same as the Shu singular isothermal sphere collapse problem, but instead the collapse of a constant density sphere. The test problems as written are also quite low resolution so I never bothered to compare to analytic solutions, instead only checking to make sure that all the mechanics (active particle creation, merging, and communication) were working correctly.

If you're interested in making test problems to match analytic solutions, take a look at Krumholz et al 2004, which was the basis for the algorithm used.

John Regan

Nov 24, 2016, 9:46:30 AM11/24/16
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nathan,

Thanks for your reply.

Right I saw that script but like you said noticed it didn't really check anything except that the Active Particle has a pulse really. I think it would be good to add the singular isothermal sphere test from the Krumholz paper (S3.1). I think the current constant density collapse can be straight forwardly modified to model the singular collapse case.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
John