MRP test problems

Christine Simpson

Mar 18, 2015, 9:14:44 AM3/18/15
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I’m planning to make some test problems utilizing must refine particles and I wanted to get some feedback from people as to what they would find useful. From my perspective, the main utility of must refine particles moving forward will be to use with particle masking as implemented in MUSIC with cosmological zooms. So I have a few questions:

- Right now the cosmological zoom tests we have are set up to work with inits that ships with enzo and the whole thing is a tidy package. Clone enzo, make ICs with inits, run test with enzo. I have used a type of must refine particle masking with inits ICs, so it is possible, but this isn’t the usage that 99% of people will use and inits itself isn’t setup to generate the mask. I can think of two options: (1) give an inits parameter file and a ‘particle mask’ file that would work with the inits ICs assuming that the ICs are generated correctly by the user; or (2) give a music parameter file. What would people prefer?

- do we want a very simplified MRP test that is something like TestOrbit or TestGravityMotion? or something else?

Thanks for the help
Christine

John Wise

Mar 18, 2015, 9:29:17 AM3/18/15
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christine,

From my prospective, it would be best to give a MUSIC parameter file.
We can set up a small zoom-in cosmological simulation (16^3 top grid
with 2 nested grids would be good). I also think it's a good idea to
have a TestOrbit-like test problem for the MRPs.

Thanks,
John
--
John Wise
Assistant Professor of Physics

Greg Bryan

Mar 18, 2015, 10:01:07 AM3/18/15
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christine — I think a MUSIC test problem would be more useful to the community, since that tests the (going forward) typical use case, and also is a useful example for users.

I also like the idea of a simplified MRP test based on TestOrbit, since that is much easier to test and run, although as Jean-Claude and I showed, this will not perform well (with the standard gravity solver anyway) unless the the secondary has a very low mass ratio and it is the one refined.

Cheers,
Greg