Proposal: Standardize on "GasEnergy" and "TotalEnergy"

Matthew Turk

Apr 25, 2011, 5:15:01 PM4/25/11
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

In going through the test problems with Britton today, I came across a
schism between how to address the energy fields, and what their data
labels should be. This was an issue I remember coming up around the
time of Enzo 1.5, but I guess it was never resolved. In some problem
types, we have "Gas_Energy" and "Total_Energy." In others, they are
"GasEnergy" and "TotalEnergy." I would like to propose that we
standardize on the non-underscored versions -- simply because
Cosmology outputs already have the non-underscored versions, and I
suspect we have the most cosmology data already out in circulation.

Below I've included the lists of which problems feature the
underscores and which ones feature no underscores. It looks like (for
the most part!) the underscores were all added in problem types that
came *after* Enzo 1.5. I'd like to go through and change all of these
to have *no* underscores. +1/+0/-0/-1?

Thanks,

Matt

Gas_Energy:

./enzo/ConductionBubbleInitialize.C
./enzo/ConductionCloudInitialize.C
./enzo/ConductionTestInitialize.C
./enzo/CoolingTestInitialize.C
./enzo/OneZoneFreefallTestInitialize.C
./enzo/ProblemType_CollapsingCoolingCloud.C
./enzo/ProblemType_RotatingCylinder.C
./enzo/RadiatingShockInitialize.C
./enzo/RotatingCylinderInitialize.C
./enzo/StratifiedMediumExplosionInitialize.C

GasEnergy:

./enzo/AdiabaticExpansionInitialize.C
./enzo/CollapseTestInitialize.C
./enzo/CosmoIonizationInitialize.C
./enzo/CosmologySimulationInitialize.C
./enzo/FreeExpansionInitialize.C
./enzo/GalaxySimulationInitialize.C
./enzo/GravityEquilibriumTestInitialize.C
./enzo/HydroShockTubesInitialize.C
./enzo/NestedCosmologySimulationInitialize.C
./enzo/PhotonTestInitialize.C
./enzo/PoissonSolverTestInitialize.C
./enzo/SedovBlastInitialize.C
./enzo/ShearingBox2DInitialize.C
./enzo/ShearingBoxInitialize.C
./enzo/ShearingBoxStratifiedInitialize.C
./enzo/SphericalInfallInitialize.C
./enzo/TestGravityInitialize.C
./enzo/TestGravitySphereInitialize.C
./enzo/TestOrbitInitialize.C
./enzo/TurbulenceSimulationInitialize.C
./enzo/ZeldovichPancakeInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/AGNDiskInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/Collapse1DInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/Collapse3DInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/CollapseMHD2DInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/CollapseMHD3DInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/GalaxyDiskInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/MHD1DTestInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/MHD1DTestWavesInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/MHD2DTestInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/MHD3DTestInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/MHDTurbulenceInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/TurbulenceInitialize.C

Total_Energy:

./enzo/ConductionBubbleInitialize.C
./enzo/ConductionCloudInitialize.C
./enzo/ConductionTestInitialize.C
./enzo/CoolingTestInitialize.C
./enzo/FSMultiSourceInitialize.C
./enzo/OneZoneFreefallTestInitialize.C
./enzo/ProblemType_CollapsingCoolingCloud.C
./enzo/ProblemType_RotatingCylinder.C
./enzo/RHIonizationClumpInitialize.C
./enzo/RHIonizationSteepInitialize.C
./enzo/RHIonizationTestInitialize.C
./enzo/RadHydroConstTestInitialize.C
./enzo/RadHydroGreyMarshakWaveInitialize.C
./enzo/RadHydroPulseTestInitialize.C
./enzo/RadHydroRadShockInitialize.C
./enzo/RadHydroStreamTestInitialize.C
./enzo/RadiatingShockInitialize.C
./enzo/RotatingCylinderInitialize.C
./enzo/StratifiedMediumExplosionInitialize.C

TotalEnergy:

./enzo/AdiabaticExpansionInitialize.C
./enzo/CollapseTestInitialize.C
./enzo/CosmoIonizationInitialize.C
./enzo/CosmologySimulationInitialize.C
./enzo/DoubleMachInitialize.C
./enzo/FreeExpansionInitialize.C
./enzo/GalaxySimulationInitialize.C
./enzo/GravityEquilibriumTestInitialize.C
./enzo/Grid_CreateFieldArray.C
./enzo/HydroShockTubesInitialize.C
./enzo/ImplosionInitialize.C
./enzo/KHInitialize.C
./enzo/NestedCosmologySimulationInitialize.C
./enzo/NohInitialize.C
./enzo/PhotonTestInitialize.C
./enzo/PoissonSolverTestInitialize.C
./enzo/PressurelessCollapseInitialize.C
./enzo/ProtostellarCollapseInitialize.C
./enzo/SedovBlastInitialize.C
./enzo/ShearingBox2DInitialize.C
./enzo/ShearingBoxInitialize.C
./enzo/ShearingBoxStratifiedInitialize.C
./enzo/ShockInABoxInitialize.C
./enzo/ShockPoolInitialize.C
./enzo/SphericalInfallInitialize.C
./enzo/TestGravityInitialize.C
./enzo/TestGravitySphereInitialize.C
./enzo/TestOrbitInitialize.C
./enzo/TurbulenceSimulationInitialize.C
./enzo/WavePoolInitialize.C
./enzo/ZeldovichPancakeInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/AGNDiskInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/Collapse1DInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/Collapse3DInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/CollapseMHD2DInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/CollapseMHD3DInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/GalaxyDiskInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/MHD1DTestInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/MHD1DTestWavesInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/MHD2DTestInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/MHD3DTestInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/MHDTurbulenceInitialize.C
./enzo/hydro_rk/TurbulenceInitialize.C

Elizabeth Tasker

Apr 25, 2011, 5:17:02 PM4/25/11
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
+1

Stephen Skory

Apr 25, 2011, 5:21:18 PM4/25/11
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
+1

--
Stephen Skory
s...@skory.us

Geoffrey So

Apr 25, 2011, 5:22:03 PM4/25/11
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
+1

From
G.S.

Britton Smith

Apr 25, 2011, 5:23:03 PM4/25/11
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
+1

Sincerely,
Britton

Brian O'Shea

Apr 25, 2011, 5:23:42 PM4/25/11
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
+1

David Collins

Apr 25, 2011, 5:29:34 PM4/25/11
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
+1

d.

--
Sent from my Stone Tablet and carried by my Pterodactyl.

Christine Simpson

Apr 25, 2011, 5:36:23 PM4/25/11
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
+1

Matthew Turk

Apr 25, 2011, 6:02:22 PM4/25/11
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I've pushed changes that have this change made. If anyone
strongly objects, I will revert, but it looks like the momentum is
there.

Robert P Harkness

Apr 25, 2011, 6:44:36 PM4/25/11
to enzo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Matt,

Why don't you just put these names a list in a .h (globally visible)?
Then one could simply choose the desired convention at compile time.

It isn't really necessary to hard-wire the *actual* names to
the variable names. Hard-wiring just makes it painful
to deal with all of the existing datasets.

BTW, it may be my fault that there are underscores in the
first place since I did the HDF4->HDF5 mod years ago.
The HDF4 names had *spaces* in them, which was a nightmare.
In the abscence of any other guidance, I replaced the spaces
with underscores.

Robert

Matthew Turk

Apr 25, 2011, 6:51:03 PM4/25/11
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 6:44 PM, Robert P Harkness <hark...@sdsc.edu> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> Why don't you just put these names a list in a .h (globally visible)?
> Then one could simply choose the desired convention at compile time.

That's a superior solution -- I will look into implementing it. It
may end up waiting to coincide with the reorganization of the problem
types and field definitions, but you're totally right, a single field
(pseudo-)enum should correspond to a single set of field conventions!

> It isn't really necessary to hard-wire the *actual* names to
> the variable names.   Hard-wiring just makes it painful
> to deal with all of the existing datasets.

...believe me, I completely understand the pains of setting up
backwards compatibility for old datasets. :)

> BTW, it may be my fault that there are underscores in the
> first place since I did the HDF4->HDF5 mod years ago.
> The HDF4 names had *spaces* in them, which was a nightmare.
> In the abscence of any other guidance, I replaced the spaces
> with underscores.

Oh, no no, I wasn't trying to suggest it was anyone's fault, and in
principle I actually prefer the underscores. I just wanted to
standardize what I saw as a divergence.

Thanks for your input!

Best,

Matt