Junk folder for GMail NOT being included

Robert Mariotti

Nov 9, 2013, 3:44:13 PM11/9/13
to empty-em...@googlegroups.com
While all the other junk and trash folders seem to be emptied just fine, it appears that the junk folder for a GMail account is not touched.

Is there something somewhere that needs to be set?  Would someone please advise?    Thanks

Mahesh Asolkar

Nov 11, 2013, 12:52:12 AM11/11/13
to empty-em...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

There are a couple of things to check:

1. Make sure that 'Include Junk Folders' in Emtpy 'em preferences is checked. But since you say Junk folders in non-Gmail accounts work fine, this should already be set.
2. Make sure Junk folders for the Gmail account are set properly. Attached screenshot is with my Gmail accounts with Folders view set to 'Unified' (Thunderbird Menu -> Folders -> Unified). It shows Junk folders from all Gmail accounts in the 'Junk' section (Marked in red on the left side in the screenshot). If you check properties (right-click -> Properties) of any Junk folder, it should show the mapping to Gmail's Spam folder in the 'Location:' setting (Marked in red in the middle of the screenshot). Make sure your Junk folders appear similarly.

If both the above are in order, the Junk folders should be cleaned.

Also, with IMAP, it may take a little longer for the Junk folders to be cleaned and notification to appear.

If this does not help, please check 'Enable console debug messages' in Empty 'em preferences. When you empty the folders with Empty 'em next, monitor the Error Console. You can also post the log output and I may be able to provide some more help.

Thanks,
Mahesh.
tb-junk-folders.png

bobmct1

Nov 14, 2013, 3:04:20 PM11/14/13
to empty-em...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Mahesh,

That worked just fine. Now, for a slightly different issue that you
should be able to help with:

When I delete emails using maildroid they are moved to the imap server's
trash folder. Therefore, when I return to my desktop or laptop there is
content in trash. Not a big deal but is there any setting to simply
DELETE the msgs?

Thanks,

Bob Mariotti

Mahesh Asolkar

Nov 26, 2013, 1:47:05 PM11/26/13
to empty-em...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

Apologies for the delay in response.

Empty 'em will empty any Trash folder that is set up as a 'Trash' folder. If you look at the screenshot I posted in the previous response, you can see a set of Trash folders with just below the Junk folders. They have a Trash icon.

Do your Trash folders (that are not being emptied) have such icons?

If not, I would check in the Account Settings for all your IMAP accounts. In there make sure the Trash folder is set to be treated as Trash folder.

If yes, I may need some more information. Please check 'Enable console debug messages' in Empty 'em preferences. When you empty the folders with Empty 'em next, monitor the Error Console. You can also post the log output and I may be able to provide some more help. You may have to sanitize the log of any sensitive information.

Hope this helps,
Mahesh.