Fw: PeaceSigns from Peace and Justice Support Network

Emmanuel Mennonite Church

Dec 31, 2015, 10:32:48 AM12/31/15
to CHURCHGROUP

Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2015 10:05 AM
Subject: PeaceSigns from Peace and Justice Support Network

PeaceSigns from the Peace and Justice Support Network Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.
PeaceSigns

Peace and Justice Support Network
December 2015

Friend on Facebook Facebook
Follow on Twitter Twitter

Faith-Rooted Practice – Mission With Nothing Left Out

by Johonna Turner

Growing up, I was involved in a small Baptist church that saw evangelism as the sole mission of the church. My church taught me many important things including God’s unconditional love for me, how to read the Bible for myself, and the importance of youth leadership. As I became increasingly sensitized to injustice and oppression as a teenager, particularly through my participation in D.C.’s socially conscious poetry scene, I experienced a sense of splintering. There was the self who sang about Jesus in my church choir on Sundays and the self who spoke about justice at open mics on Mondays. There were some occasions when these two selves came together – for example, when I penned and performed a rap called “Jesus was a Revolutionary” at a church talent show.

But most of the time, my two selves were nurtured by separate communities – evangelical churches fed one and secular social movement organizations fed the other. In my late 20s, I began to long desperately for integration – as I recognized each part, each passion, each purpose was an integral part of my identity.

The splintering that I experienced within my own identity often characterizes the splintering of Christian identity and mission in the world.

Read More

You Mis(s) Trust?

By Keith Lyndaker

A recent Pew Research Study showed that trust in our government by its citizenry is at an all time low. While this is not surprising, other results of the study are somewhat disconcerting. Trust in all of our society’s major institutions is at an all time low as well. This includes the church, medical establishments, etc. This information simply is a confirmation of how fractured our society has become. Such a broken society is unhealthy and in danger of imploding within.

We as humans tend to clump with people of like interest. This makes perfect sense and allows groups of like-minded people to accomplish much when they are focused on one issue together. The problem arises when we remain exclusively within these groups and allow our affiliations to block our interactions with other people who, or groups which, may be different.

Read More

Balancing Acts – Omelets at Christmas

by Tom Beutel

“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. Matthew 10:34 (NRSV)

Peace is without question one of the central themes of the Christmas story. The angels proclaimed to the shepherds, “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace among those whom he favors!” (Luke 2:14) Handel’s Messiah, quoting Isaiah 9:6, reminds us that, “For a child has been born for us, a son given to us; authority rests upon his shoulders; and he is named Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”

But, Jesus jarringly tells His disciples that He has not come “to bring peace to the earth … but a sword.” Lest we dismiss these troubling words thinking that some other idea of peace, some other word for peace is what Jesus is really talking about, a close look at this scripture verse shows that indeed it is eirene, the New Testament word that we associate with shalom, that is used here. Biblehub.com explains eirene as “one, peace, quietness, rest.” and “from eirō, “to join, tie together into a whole” – properly, wholeness, i.e. when all essential parts are joined together.”

Read More

Still My Soul and Set To Work

By Cara Ediger

Still my soul and set to work

Find the things in life worth doing,

Find the people in life that support your life.

Still my soul and set to work

The time is now to go back

And sift through the clutter

And find the meaningful

Still my soul and set to work

Dig deep to find meaning

In every empty space of waiting

For the next step

Read More

An Alternative to Military Responses

By Max Ediger

The past several months have seen yet more mass killings of innocent people around the world followed by a response of more military attacks and threats on the perceived sources of those killings. In the United States some people are calling for a ban on all Muslims wanting to enter the country despite the fact that the majority of the killings in the country have not been done by Muslims. The rhetoric against the “other” grows ever louder and uglier.

It seems almost normal now that any harm done to us must result in our doing greater harm to others. Yet all of these military responses against the “enemy” seem to make little difference. In fact, some observers say that they actually play into the hands of those who wish to create division, anger and hatred. If that is true, then we allowing them to teach us how to act and how to live. Surely we can find better teachers.

Read More

Unto Us A Child

By Berry Friesen

“For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given.  The government shall be upon his shoulder and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace” (Isaiah 9:6).

Christians understand this text to describe YHWH’s long-awaited Messiah, Jesus of Nazareth. But how exactly does he fulfill this ancient prediction—“the government shall be upon his shoulder?”

Jesus’ first disciples expected him to replace the Roman Empire with his own imperium of just laws and administrators.  Many Christians today make the same mistake, only they finesse it by setting Jesus’ reign far into the future when he will live physically on earth again.  Both groups follow conventional understandings of “government” as top-down rule.

Some Christians explain the Isaiah text by saying Jesus is YHWH and thus by definition the One who created, orders and governs the cosmos.

Read More

unsubscribe from this list | update subscription preferences