[perlmonks] Re: Komodo 5.1 versus the others.

LanX

Aug 13, 2009, 8:02:27 AM8/13/09
to emacs-perl-intersection
Hi

I'm not sure who from this list participates at Perlmonger so I'm
forwarding a longer post I did on behalf of emacs:

http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=788248

-----8<---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emacs does what I want...

Sometimes I activate Emacs-Code-Browser to have a more Kommodo/
Eclipse-like look and feel.

Plus cperl-mode and sepia and some self-written(!) macros doing
text-transformations (mostly wrapping perlcode, because I'm still
mostly lost in elisp ;-) + self-written(!) keybindings do what I want.

fly-make-mode and auto expands improve my coding speed
dramatically.

Emacs is on every platform, it's free, using gnuclient makes the
startup fast as lightning, and it can be used without X in console-
mode (e.g. while login with ssh on another machine).

Well there are so many flavors of setting up emacs ... but last
time I saw Komodo edit it was for sure much slower than emacs.

Anyway it's difficult to compare different IDEs w/o any specific
list of "important features" in a "common language" (i.e. do VI-user
understand what I mean with fly-make mode?), such that you risk
comparing apples and peaches...

You should start giving us a list of features you consider
important with some explanation such that you can get a valid
comparison.

Cheers Rolf

PS: A friend pointed me to textmate, which seems very nice but
is restricted to MacOs. Looking for emulation of the very strong
snippet feature I found yasnippet.el for emacs. 8)