order helm result as frequency of usage

Peng Li

Aug 15, 2015, 1:30:04 PM8/15/15
to emacs-helm

Hi,

is it possible to make the helm completion result list as their frequency of usage. I know ido has this feature.
for example,
in ido,  if I run M-x eshell, then restart emacs and input M-x, the first  candidates in the completion list is eshell. I can just input RET to choose this one. I think this is very useful

So, does helm also have this feature?

Thanks,
Peng

Peng Li

Aug 15, 2015, 2:27:51 PM8/15/15
to emacs-helm
Just found this
https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm/issues/431
Seems helm cannot persist the command history, so after restart, the command history is gone.
 but we can use session.el to do solve the issue

Chunyang Xu

Aug 15, 2015, 2:30:17 PM8/15/15
to emacs...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 1:30 AM, Peng Li <seu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is it possible to make the helm completion result list as their frequency of
> usage. I know ido has this feature.
> for example,
> in ido, if I run M-x eshell, then restart emacs and input M-x, the first
> candidates in the completion list is eshell. I can just input RET to choose
> this one. I think this is very useful

Try to store the value of `extended-command-history' across session, I
am using the built-in savehist and It works for me

(use-package savehist
:init (savehist-mode)
:config
(setq history-length 1000
history-delete-duplicates t
savehist-additional-variables '(extended-command-history)))

just add extended-command-history to savehist-additional-variables and
enable savehist-mode should be enough, I think.

--
Chunyang Xu

> So, does helm also have this feature?
>
> Thanks,
> Peng

Peng Li

Aug 15, 2015, 2:49:37 PM8/15/15
to emacs-helm
Thanks Chuyang,
Yes, just tried your config, it also can fix the issue. thanks