Getting `helm-source-grep` to respect `.gitignore`, `.hgignore`, etc.

Tianxiang Xiong

Dec 7, 2017, 4:35:12 PM12/7/17
to emacs-helm
Is it possible to get `helm-source-grep` to ignore files specified in `.gitignore`, `.hgignore`, etc.?

I've a command, `helm-projectile-grep-or-ack`, that I'd like to ignore files / dirs specified by my VCS. That bit of code, TBH, is a mess. If you can help simplify it, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thierry Volpiatto

Dec 8, 2017, 12:51:34 AM12/8/17
to emacs...@googlegroups.com

'Tianxiang Xiong' via emacs-helm <emacs...@googlegroups.com> writes:

> Is it possible to get `helm-source-grep` to ignore files specified in
> `.gitignore`, `.hgignore`, etc.?

I suggest you use ripgrep as backend with helm-do-grep-ag.

--
Thierry

Tianxiang Xiong

Dec 9, 2017, 10:31:01 PM12/9/17
to emacs-helm
Well, `helm-projectile` already has a `helm-projectile-ag` command that does what I want, so I guess that's fine.