helm-mini with helm-find-files candidates from defined locations

theldoria

Apr 24, 2017, 6:25:47 AM4/24/17
to emacs-helm
Often when I use `helm-mini` I am after a file from one of several default locations (paths). On example could be a file in the .emacs.d folder.

Sometimes, the file I want to open, is no longer in the lsit of recent files. In that case it would be convenient to have an additonal source linke helm-find-files for every location I define, say `helm-source-locations`.

I would like to define a `helm-find-files-locations` variable set to a list of such locations, e.g. `(setq helm-find-files-locaitons '("~/.emacs.d"))`.

The glue would then to add `helm-find-files-locations` to `helm-mini-default-sources`.

My questions are now:
  1. Does such a feature already exist?
  2. Shall I file an reauest (issue) on github for that?
  3. If I am on my own: what are my best options to implement `helm-source-locations`?

To point 3): I basically know how to implement sources, my question is more what could be the most efficient way to reuse as much as possible from `helm-find-files`.
To point 2): If I where the implement it on my own (point 3), I would be keen to provide an pull request. However, if the mainters thinks it's trivial I am happy with a solid solution implemented by them.

Thierry Volpiatto

Apr 24, 2017, 6:51:39 AM4/24/17
to emacs...@googlegroups.com

theldoria <frok...@gmail.com> writes:

> Often when I use `helm-mini` I am after a file from one of several default locations (paths). On example could be a file in the .emacs.d folder.
>
> Sometimes, the file I want to open, is no longer in the lsit of recent files. In that case it would be convenient to have an additonal source linke
> helm-find-files for every location I define, say `helm-source-locations`.
>
> I would like to define a `helm-find-files-locations` variable set to a list of such locations, e.g. `(setq helm-find-files-locaitons '("~/.emacs.d"))`.
>
> The glue would then to add `helm-find-files-locations` to `helm-mini-default-sources`.
>
> My questions are now:
>
> 1. Does such a feature already exist?

From any source, you can call `helm-find-files` with `C-x C-f` then you can
navigate to the place you want or use `C-x r b` to switch to a
`helm-find-files` location (while in helm-find-files session you can
navigate to some places and hit `C-x r m` to define locations).

--
Thierry
Gpg Key fingerprint = 6CEC 7081 AB33 E251 4AB8 5FC2 28D1 7F53 59F2 9997

Thierry Volpiatto

Apr 24, 2017, 7:00:42 AM4/24/17
to emacs...@googlegroups.com

Of course you can also add `helm-source-bookmark-helm-find-files` to
`helm-mini-default-sources` and same, feed it with `C-x r m` from
`helm-find-files`.

theldoria

Apr 24, 2017, 12:47:15 PM4/24/17
to emacs-helm
That's awesome, better than I wanted. Thanks!