How to run explicit command in helm M-x with fuzzy matching on

David Good

Aug 14, 2016, 4:09:38 PM8/14/16
to emacs-helm
Hi all,

I'm sure there is a very easy way to solve this, but I'm struggling with something very simple.

I'm using Prelude, which has helm and fuzzy matching on.  I want to run the command "slime".  When I press M-x and get into helm mini and type slime, I get two sections: Emacs Commands History, which has three candidates which all begin with "slime-", and then a much larger section called Emacs Commands, which lists "slime" by itself.

I can't figure out how to get Helm to run the slime command.  Using C-n and C-p, the selection just cycles through the 3 recent commands.  If I hit enter, I get whatever command is selected (obviously).

How can I get Helm to just run what I typed or get out of the Commands History list for completions?

Thanks,

--David

Chunyang Xu

Aug 15, 2016, 12:00:31 AM8/15/16
to David Good, emacs-helm
David Good <david...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm sure there is a very easy way to solve this, but I'm struggling with
> something very simple.
>
> I'm using Prelude, which has helm and fuzzy matching on. I want to run the
> command "slime". When I press M-x and get into helm mini and type slime, I
> get two sections: Emacs Commands History, which has three candidates which
> all begin with "slime-", and then a much larger section called Emacs
> Commands, which lists "slime" by itself.
>
> I can't figure out how to get Helm to run the slime command. Using C-n and
> C-p, the selection just cycles through the 3 recent commands. If I hit
> enter, I get whatever command is selected (obviously).

By default, when reaching the last candidate of "Emacs Commands
History", C-n will jump to the fist candidate of next section "Emacs
Commands", unless you set `helm-move-to-line-cycle-in-source' to t.

> How can I get Helm to just run what I typed or get out of the Commands
> History list for completions?

Try to set `helm-M-x-reverse-history' to t, then the order of the two
sections will be reversed.

> Thanks,
>
> --David

Thierry Volpiatto

Aug 15, 2016, 12:59:47 AM8/15/16
to emacs...@googlegroups.com

David Good <david...@gmail.com> writes:

> How can I get Helm to just run what I typed or get out of the Commands
> History list for completions?

Use C-o or right/left arrow keys.

--
Thierry

David Good

Aug 15, 2016, 11:34:34 AM8/15/16
to emacs...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!!! Is this documented anywhere that I just missed?  I wasn't sure of the exact terminology to use while looking through the helm manual.

This is great!

--David

--
Thierry

Thierry Volpiatto

Aug 15, 2016, 3:16:12 PM8/15/16
to emacs...@googlegroups.com

David Good <david...@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks!!! Is this documented anywhere that I just missed?

C-h m While in helm session (Look at your mode-line ;-)).

--
Thierry

David Good

Aug 15, 2016, 3:33:35 PM8/15/16