Debugging

Paul Michael Reilly

Mar 3, 2013, 7:08:40 AM3/3/13
to emacs...@googlegroups.com
I do not see anything on using the Eclipse debug facilities so I'm gathering it is virgin turf.  But since I just installed eclim (2.2.5 on Mac OS X ML running a developer's Emacs instance, i.e. 24.3+) I could easily have missed something.

In any case, it strikes me that having the Eclipse debugger work from Emacs would be very handy.  I am likely to work towards that goal if I find that eclim is pretty much ready for prime time in that it works well for the set of things that it currently does.

-pmr

fred-o

Mar 8, 2013, 3:57:04 AM3/8/13
to emacs...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, March 3, 2013 1:08:40 PM UTC+1, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
I do not see anything on using the Eclipse debug facilities so I'm gathering it is virgin turf.  But since I just installed eclim (2.2.5 on Mac OS X ML running a developer's Emacs instance, i.e. 24.3+) I could easily have missed something.

In any case, it strikes me that having the Eclipse debugger work from Emacs would be very handy.  I am likely to work towards that goal if I find that eclim is pretty much ready for prime time in that it works well for the set of things that it currently does.

Unfortunately there's not much in way of accessing the eclipse debugger from emacs. As far as I know, the underlying eclim libraries do not support it, and I suspect it would be a mammoth task to implement.

In my day to day workflow I run eclipse and emacs in parallell. I do the editing and trivial refactoring in emacs, but switch to eclipse when I need to debug or do complex refactoring. For me it's the best of both worlds.

Cheers,
-- Fredrik

Torstein Krause Johansen

Jun 10, 2013, 3:15:15 PM6/10/13
to emacs...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, 3 March 2013 13:08:40 UTC+1, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
In any case, it strikes me that having the Eclipse debugger work from Emacs would be very handy.  I am likely to work towards that goal if I find that eclim is pretty much ready for prime time in that it works well for the set of things that it currently does.

Indeed! Having everything in Emacs is the ultimate zen of programming :-)

A few years ago, I used JDIbug for debugging. It's fast and failry pretty & user friendly. Last time I tried, though, I had a hard time using it as some of its dependencies/lisp was out of date. It's possible to use JDIbug both with JDEs source/classpath variables as well sa setting this manually. I guess that some clever lispery could make it work with the source path/classpath via emacs-eclim, but I haven't ventured down that path as the obsolete lisp calls put me off. I'm now using IDEA for my debugging (and refactoring) instead.

Cheers,

-Torstein

Paul Michael Reilly

Jun 10, 2013, 4:03:46 PM6/10/13
to emacs...@googlegroups.com
 That has always been my experience with JDE: way too many Elisp obstacles to overcome before one can even experience the JDE goodness, especially if, as I generally do, one is using a bleeding edge developer instance of Emacs.

-pmr