Changes in the completion mechanism

fred-o

Dec 5, 2012, 2:58:20 PM12/5/12
to emacs...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

For the past few weeks I've been reworking the completion mechanism for emacs-eclim. The major changes are:
  • We now have support for completions in languages other that Java. Yay! XML completion works pretty well, but support for Ruby and PHP is pretty basic. This is mainly because I don't actually use Ruby/PHP, so any improvements here would be most welcome.
  • The company-mode and auto-complete-mode backends now share the same codebase, and should be considered equivalent feature-wise. This will make maintenance easier and it was nice to get rid of the buggy old company-mode code.
  • Setup has changed somewhat for the auto-complete-mode backend. ac-source-emacs-eclim-dot-c is no more (instead replaced by an improved prefix calculation function), and the recommended way to initialize the backends is now to call (ac-emac-eclim-config), which installs the necessary hooks for you.
  • Several more or less severe bugs have been fixed along the way.
I feel pretty good about this change. In my daily use I encounter some annoying behaviour, especially when completing inside a yasnippet, but certainly no more than before.  Turning off automatic completion (by setting ac-auto-start to nil, or the equivalent setting for company-mode) seems to improve usability a lot though.

Bug reports, comments and patches are welcome.

Cheers,
-- Fredrik

Yves Senn

Dec 7, 2012, 3:10:05 AM12/7/12