Cabbage vs package managers in emacs 24

Vikas Menon

Aug 31, 2012, 3:39:12 PM8/31/12
to emacs-...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to know the differences (if any) between cabbage and the package managers in emacs 24.

Thanks,
Vikas.

Yves Senn

Aug 31, 2012, 4:36:47 PM8/31/12
to emacs-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Vikas

The two things are very different. Package manager allow you to easily install emacs-lisp libraries. But cabbage is a complete configuration.
Our goal with cabbage is to create a solid and highly efficient emacs configuration. We want that cabbage users don't need to think what
elisp libraries the want to use but can focus on the areas they are working on. Cabbage is a distilled set of our personal preferences and setups.
We are opinionated and our goal is not to make something for everyone. Emacs gives you so many choices and to use it productively you need a lot of know-how.
With cabbage we want to make a lot of choices for you, so that you can focus on the important stuff. Of course it's just emacs-lisp and you can override everything
in your local configuration but we want to create a set of sane defaults so that starting up emacs is instantly a pleasure without having to customize anything further.

Cheers,
-- Yves