Mysterious failure to find packages during compilation

Austin Bingham

Feb 22, 2017, 12:11:48 PM2/22/17
to Elm Discuss
I'm trying to sort out a compilation problem that I (really, a friend trying to use my code) is seeing. In a nutshell, when he compiles my project he sees this:

----

ERROR in ./src/Main.elm
Module build failed: Error: Compiler process exited with error Compilation failed
Could not find package elm-lang/navigation.

Maybe your elm-stuff/ directory has been corrupted? You can usually fix stuff
like this by deleting elm-stuff/ and rebuilding your project.
Packages configured successfully!

    at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (/home/users/russel/Repositories/Git/Forks/ACCU_2017_Elm_App/node_modules/elm-webpack-loader/node_modules/node-elm-compiler/index.js:291:27)
    at emitTwo (events.js:106:13)
    at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:191:7)
    at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:877:16)
    at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:226:5)
 @ ./src/index.js 10:10-31

----

This is on a Debian 'sid' machine. The compilation is occurring via the elm-webpack plugin, and all of the node/npm tool chain seems to be OK. The build is known to work on OS X, and in fact it seems to work just fine on another Debian 'sid' system, albeit one running inside virtualbox.

After this error the elm-stuff directory exists but is empty. So I know it's a long-shot, but does this ring a bell with anyone? Can you think of what might cause this to happen?

Austin

Noah Hall

Feb 22, 2017, 5:16:37 PM2/22/17
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Did you try deleting the `elm-stuff `folder and trying again?

Austin Bingham

Feb 23, 2017, 2:13:51 AM2/23/17
to Elm Discuss
Sorry, I should have mentioned that originally. Yes, deleting elm-stuff was the first thing we tried.

erik aker

Jun 17, 2017, 11:08:38 PM6/17/17
to Elm Discuss
Hi, I had a similar problem today and it turned out to be related to a particular package in my elm-package.json. I noticed that after I added that package, which was "elm-community/elm-json-extra": "2.3.0 <= v < 3.0.0", that I would get this error about elm-lang/navigation. If I removed this seemingly unrelated package from the list, the error goes away. I also, like you, removed elm-stuff and tried again.

Ilias Van Peer

Jun 18, 2017, 9:51:49 AM6/18/17
to Elm Discuss
Yeah, this could be caused by "conflicting packages" - seems like you may have been using a different package that has a dependency on `elm-community/json-extra`, which uses the same module names as (and supersedes) `elm-community/elm-json-extra`.