The Elm Discourse is Ready

Brian Hicks

Dec 1, 2017, 10:30:15 AM12/1/17
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

The Elm Discourse is now live at https://discourse.elm-lang.org. Hosting has been graciously provided by discourse.org. You can log in with your existing Google or GitHub accounts, or an email and password of your choice.

As I mentioned earlier this week, we intend to replace Google Groups with Discourse if everything shakes out OK. There are more details on the site: https://discourse.elm-lang.org/t/transition-plan-from-google-groups/20/3. To summarize: we'd appreciate if you could take new threads to Discourse so we can give it a solid run. We will likely not be able to migrate existing discussions, but we will retain this list in read-only mode so that existing discussions will not be lost. We hope existing discussions can continue and finish up over here so that those threads are not separated and hard to join later.

We're going to try an experiment around discussion categories. Right now, we have these:

1. Learn
2. Request Feedback
3. Show and Tell

The idea is to select your intention for writing the post and things should sort themselves out automatically. People get what they need, and we all communicate in a healthy way. There's a thread on the forum where we hashed out the design decisions for these categories. If you get stuck on which category a post belongs in, feel free to contact me privately however makes sense to you and I'll help you out. :)

Thanks, and see you there.
Brian

P.S. It's completely possible to maintain an email-only interface if you are so inclined. Once you sign up, go to your settings (click your picture in the top right, then the gear icon.) From there, select "Emails" and then "Enable mailing list mode." That said, the web interface is much nicer than it is here; give it a try.

John Orford

Dec 1, 2017, 10:32:48 AM12/1/17
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Great work!

Wojciech S. Czarnecki

Dec 2, 2017, 8:22:06 PM12/2/17
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 09:30:06 -0600
Brian Hicks <br...@brianthicks.com> wrote:

> P.S. It's completely possible to maintain an email-only interface if you
> are so inclined. Once you sign up, go to your settings (click your picture
> in the top right, then the gear icon.) From there, select "Emails" and then
> "Enable mailing list mode."

I do not see subscribe/command/post addresses...

With all due respect: while discourse is the best of the 'bb'
style clickable thing available today it certainly is *not* a
maillist. To make long story short:

-- excerpt:
-- Hassan_Schroeder (Hassan Schroeder) 2017-11-21 16:49:34 UTC #15

-- 1. The general UX of Discourse "email" is extremely clumsy: -
-- top-posted
-- - irrelevant visual clutter
-- - no plain-text option AFAIK
-- - can't "mute" threads in gmail

-- 2. Content accuracy and consistency is *critical* for a *technical*
-- mailing list. The email gated from a Discourse forum:
-- - drops information
-- - interprets code examples as markup
-- - allows forum users to edit posts without triggering another email

> That said, the web interface is much nicer than
> it is here; give it a try.

The web interface of the g-groups is abysmal, sure, but g-powered
search of the whole maillist archive with perfect e-mail interface
IMO trumps anything else.

Next thing is spam. A g-groups admin/mod sees a lot of it but AFAIK
it is a tiny percent that comes from half-humans or has been generated
by very sophisticated software. The repeatable|voluminous rest is kept at
bay by the panoptical G. This, invisible now, mud will sooner than later hit
even small list. So - who will take care of spam on discourse platform?
(Personally the only half working solution I know of is akismet. An A.I.
that likes to send even board/blog owner's posts to the mod queue.)

my $0.02

--
Wojciech S. Czarnecki
<< ^oo^ >> OHIR-RIPE

Herdi Bintang

Dec 5, 2017, 12:29:18 AM12/5/17
to Elm Discuss
How to report problem? I can't login or signup using Google account.

Dustin Farris

Dec 10, 2017, 8:25:27 PM12/10/17
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
This isn’t loading for me.

image1.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone

Brian Hicks

Dec 11, 2017, 8:45:14 AM12/11/17
to Elm Discuss
They had some downtime last night but it is back up now.

Dustin Farris

Dec 11, 2017, 12:00:12 PM12/11/17
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Does that happen often?

On Dec 11, 2017, at 8:45 AM, Brian Hicks <thereal...@gmail.com> wrote:

They had some downtime last night but it is back up now.

Dustin Farris

Brian Hicks

Dec 12, 2017, 9:45:36 AM12/12/17
to Elm Discuss
I don't expect so. But it's better than us hosting it ourselves. :)

Brian Hicks

Dec 26, 2017, 6:01:39 PM12/26/17
to Elm Discuss
We're going to proceed with this migration by making Elm Discuss on Google Groups read-only on January 1, 2018. Most discussion has already migrated over to Discourse. We will be repointing links as we find them, please help out by moving any you control and letting me know about any we miss.