Taking over the DOM in WebGL

Zane Hitchcox

Oct 23, 2016, 2:22:43 PM10/23/16
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Would there be any interest/way to just take over the dom rather than use diffing? Like, could we just control the screen directly using WebGL and eliminate the dom completely?

I feel like this would be easy using Three.js, but no one has done it...am I missing something here?

Rudi Chen

Oct 23, 2016, 10:22:19 PM10/23/16
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
This is possible, the folks at Figma are doing something similar to have a native-like editing experience on the browser. It's hard though, you'd be implementing a whole rendering engine to achieve that.

For the more average application, it would restrict you to one-page apps, failures wouldn't be as graceful, etc. It's not clear that it would be worth it. I mean, the Chrome team tries hard to use GPU-accelerated rendering and are only getting so far, despite working with less restrictions then WebGL.