Elm events 2017

Rupert Smith

Jan 5, 2017, 6:19:39 PM1/5/17
to Elm Discuss
Thinking of drawing up a list of events, dates and places where Elm will be on the menu in 2017. Would people be interested in contributing what they know to build up the list? Also, I have a feeling someone may already have done this, in which case point me to it.

Michael B

Jan 5, 2017, 10:49:08 PM1/5/17
to Elm Discuss
Hi Rupert,

I'm the author of elm-events.org. As you can see, it's looking pretty empty at the moment! I've been manually maintaining the upcoming talks and workshops and go to some effort to find a conference logo, speaker images, do cropping, etc, so it can't really be automated. This is an example of what it looks like when there are actually upcoming events listed: http://builtwithelm.co/data/images/elm-events.png.
I was hoping to get pull requests, but that has rarely happened. I've gotten pretty lazy with updating this website as it doesn't seem to get much traffic. The github repo is at https://github.com/mbylstra/elm-events. I'd be happy to help you contribute to that (it's basically a simple static website written in Elm), but if you'd like to start something completely new in a different format, I'm fine with that also.

The Meetup events are courtesy of an API written by Phillip Poots for Elm Weekly - these are automatically collected from the meetup.com API.

cheers,
Michael.

Brian Hicks

Jan 5, 2017, 11:57:54 PM1/5/17
to Elm Discuss
elm-conf 2017 is coming back on September 28. That one might qualify. ;)

Haven't announced more "formally" yet because we need to redo the website first to be more informative.

Rupert Smith

Jan 6, 2017, 6:06:19 AM1/6/17
to Elm Discuss
On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 3:49:08 AM UTC, Michael B wrote:
I'm the author of elm-events.org. As you can see, it's looking pretty empty at the moment!

You could add the elm europe conference, assuming it is still on?

There seems to be small amount of Elm related topics at CodeMesh:

Doesn't seeem to be much on meetup.com outside of the USA, although there do seem to be plenty Elm user groups in Europe.

Rex van der Spuy

Jan 6, 2017, 12:11:05 PM1/6/17
to Elm Discuss

Doesn't seeem to be much on meetup.com outside of the USA, although there do seem to be plenty Elm user groups in Europe.

...for anyone in Toronto, there is now an Toronto Elm meetup group:

Josh Adams

Jan 6, 2017, 12:56:35 PM1/6/17
to Elm Discuss
Both of my talks at NDC London in a couple of weeks involve Elm: http://ndc-london.com/speaker/josh-adams

Rupert Smith

Jan 6, 2017, 3:08:54 PM1/6/17
to Elm Discuss
On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 5:56:35 PM UTC, Josh Adams wrote:
Both of my talks at NDC London in a couple of weeks involve Elm: http://ndc-london.com/speaker/josh-adams

Just trying to figure out what NDC is about:

"About NDC

Since its start-up in Oslo 2008, the Norwegian Developers Conference (NDC) quickly became one of Europe`s largest conferences for .NET & Agile development. Today NDC Conferences are 5-day events with 2 days of pre-conference workshops and 3 days of conference sessions."

Is it very agile + .Net focused still? What is the overall theme of this event?

Matthieu Pizenberg

Jan 17, 2017, 11:41:22 AM1/17/17
to Elm Discuss

Hi,

Just to say that there is one meetup in Paris tomorrow: https://www.meetup.com/Meetup-Elm-Paris/events/236216040/
It seems to be already full though.

There is another one in Amsterdam 1st of February: https://www.meetup.com/Elm-Amsterdam/events/236942429/
Kind of a hacking night. 15 spots still available now.

Gelu Timoficiuc

Jan 23, 2017, 9:29:57 AM1/23/17
to Elm Discuss
If anyone is interested, this is the elm meetup group in Copenhagen. http://meetu.ps/c/2zSsR/yTd5S/a

Salas Sanchez-Bennasar

Mar 23, 2017, 6:54:22 PM3/23/17
to Elm Discuss
I'm trying to announce this conference as widely as possible, and given all the elm talks, I think it may be relevant here:

LambdaConf is one of the largest functional programming conferences in the world, focused on foundational concepts (such as lambda calculus, type theory, category theory), functional programming languages (Haskell, Scala, PureScript, F#, Clojure, Elixir, and more), new languages and approaches in functional programming, functional programming libraries, and related areas such as dependent types, proof systems, parallel array programming, functional GPU processing, and more.

Standard registration is now open at Eventbrite:

A complete list of sessions is online, including the following highlights:

 * 6 keynotes, including one on using Haskell to model life on the blockchain, one on how programmers brains work, and one on the axes of abstraction;
 * 8 leap workshops, including an in-depth workshop on category theory, one on optics, and one on building front-ends using PureScript Halogen;
 * 12 hop workshops, including one introducing Coq, another diving into recursion schemes, and another teaching functional data processing;
 * 9 de novo sessions, including on one formally specified digital logic, one on algebraic and monadic composability for distributed computing, and one on type-level REST programming;
 * 21 educational sessions, including one on Free monads, one on high-performance Haskell, one on codata and corecursion, one on FP on Android using Frege, and another on dependently-typed programming in Haskell;
 * 21 inspire sessions, including one on dependent-pairs, one on generative design, and one on type singletons.

This is more than 110 hours of content, with enough variety and difficulty level for everyone. Speakers are book authors, contributors to open source libraries, researchers, and practicing functional programmers.

The conference takes place in Boulder, Colorado, from May 25 - 27, at the University of Colorado Boulder in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Conference registration includes all sessions (including workshops), locally-catered breakfast and lunch on ThursdayFriday, and Saturday; a conference dinner on Friday night; a choice from a variety of networking activities on Sunday; free childcare and STEM workshops for children; all-gender restrooms and handicapped-accessible venues.

The conference is preceded by commercial training opportunities on Monday - Tuesday, including:

 * Up & Running with Elixir & Phoenix, by Brooklyn Zelenka
 * Applied Haskell, by Michael Snoyman
 * Advanced FP in Scala, by John A. De Goes
 * Introduction to FP, by David Koontz
 * Mastering Apache Spark, by Pawel Szulc
 * Mastering Elm, by Isaac Shapira

On Wednesday, several free mini-conferences are co-located with LambdaConf:

 * PureScript Conf 2017
 * Introduction to FP with Haskell

For more information on LambdaConf, the commercial training workshops, or the mini-conferences, please visit the website:

Regards,

Salas Sanchez-Bennasar

Duane Johnson

Mar 23, 2017, 6:55:38 PM3/23/17
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Salas, since you had two nearly identical posts, I approved this one and rejected the other (I'm assuming you didn't know we moderate first-time posters).

-- Duane Johnson (elm-discuss moderator)

Thibaut Assus

Apr 5, 2017, 5:36:43 AM4/5/17
to Elm Discuss
Yes it is :) Please add it !

Austin Bingham

Apr 5, 2017, 10:15:19 AM4/5/17
to Elm Discuss
If you're still building this list, I've got an Elm talk at ACCU: https://conference.accu.org/site/stories/2017/sessions.html#XFunctionalProgrammingfortheWebwithElm

Also, it looks like there is both an Elm workshop and a talk at NDC Oslo: http://ndcoslo.com/

In case you never got an answer to your earlier question about NDC, it doesn't have a specific focus per se, though it does tend to lean quite Microsoft. There are efforts underway to give it a broader perspective, and those seem to be working, though slowly.

Noah Hall

Apr 5, 2017, 10:51:22 AM4/5/17
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
There's a talk about Elm at flatmap by Erik Wendel, and a workshop run
by me. Also, we're running https://osloelmday.no, a day dedicated to
Elm talks in Oslo on the 10th of June. The call for papers are open!

Noah Hall

Apr 5, 2017, 10:51:42 AM4/5/17
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Forgot a link for flatmap: http://2017.flatmap.no/

Christopher Anand

Apr 5, 2017, 12:53:09 PM4/5/17
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Not at the same level as the other events, but elm was featured at the can{CODE} 2017 conference (for high school students, organized by high school students).

https://www.cancodecanada.com

Joey Eremondi

Apr 5, 2017, 12:55:58 PM4/5/17
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Not Elm specific, but if would be great to have some Elm representation at "Commercial Users of Functional Programming":

http://icfp17.sigplan.org/track/cufp-2017-papers

Richard Wood

Apr 6, 2017, 6:58:55 AM4/6/17
to Elm Discuss
Hi Noah

Is Oslo likely to be the same talks as the speakers did at Elm Europe?
If not I'll come to that as well.

Cheers
Richard

Noah Hall

Apr 6, 2017, 7:21:04 AM4/6/17
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Mine is going to be different, and the CFP is open, so I doubt there
will be much duplication :) Luke is also going to be talking in Oslo,
and they're not going to speak at ElmEurope. The goal is to have a
complementary conference to ElmEurope, so people can go to both :).
You can check out the call for papers here if you're interested in
submitting one, too ->
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdgMw1ymqiM92UtrYEAVBGisbJBuv9ers8Q36qIAQSga9dX5A/viewform?c=0&w=1